kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ok I'm new to kegging and I hope this is a simple question...

so if I want 2.5 volumes carb at 40 degrees I know I want to set it at appx 13 psi for a week or so that part I understand now do I leave it at 13 psi or lower the psi for serving ? also better example may be 2.5 volumes at 55 degrees would be 20 psi would I still serve at 20 psi ? Thanks for any input as I'm lost and can't find a similar post in a search.

Yeah, if you're doing the set and forget method. I rarely ever change my pressure.

I chill my keg over night then put it on the gas for a week at 11-12 PSI, and then in a week it's usually ready to go. i will then serve at 11-12 PSI.

Yes, you leave the pressure at whatever the chart says until the keg is empty.

This is the basic progression...
1. Decide what temp you want to keep the beer at.
2. Decide what carb level you want (volumes).
3. Refer to the chart for the appropriate equilibrium or target pressure.
4. Choose a 3/16" ID serving line length that will pour without firehose foaming.

The last part is a little tricky, but tubing is cheap enough to start long and cut back as necessary. 55F is really too warm even for English beers because by the time the glass contributes heat, you're already near 60F. 40-45F is more realistic even for those cellar temp beers.

Answer is, it depends on how you have your system balanced. Mainly, how long your beer lines are and their size. I mainly carb things to 2.0-2.5 volumes at about 40-45F and use 12' of 3/16" beer line and don't lower my pressure. If your lines are too short, you'll have to lower the pressure to serve or you will get all foam and then raise the pressure back up after pouring or you'll lose carbonation.

Answer is, it depends on how you have your system balanced. Mainly, how long your beer lines are and their size. I mainly carb things to 2.0-2.5 volumes at about 40-45F and use 12' of 3/16" beer line and don't lower my pressure. If your lines are too short, you'll have to lower the pressure to serve or you will get all foam and then raise the pressure back up after pouring or you'll lose carbonation.
All answers are great but this one seems to answer the biggest question I forgot to include in the op.
i just got a keg kit from midwest supply and it only came with like 3/16 x 5 feet of serving line which I know will not give me a balanced system so if i kept it at like 45 at 15 psi would I blow the glass out of my hand or get a beer shower.

All answers are great but this one seems to answer the biggest question I forgot to include in the op.
i just got a keg kit from midwest supply and it only came with like 3/16 x 5 feet of serving line which I know will not give me a balanced system so if i kept it at like 45 at 15 psi would I blow the glass out of my hand or get a beer shower.

I got my keg kit from midwest as well, and i am still using the picnic taps with the short hoses.

I keep my freezer set to 39, carb and serve at 11-12, i have only had issue with one beer (Stout) ending up pouring with a bit too much head. I haven't had any foaming issues with any other beers and i've gone through about 6 kegs so far.

I repeat
1. Decide what temp you want to keep the beer at.
2. Decide what carb level you want (volumes).
3. Refer to the chart for the appropriate equilibrium or target pressure.
4. Choose a 3/16" ID serving line length that will pour without firehose foaming.

I'd say if you don't follow that method you can:

1. Get stuck with 5' lines from a vendor that insists 5' is perfect for everyone's situation.

Then pick one of these:
2. Adjust the temp you keep your beer at so that the pressure required for a controlled pour is also at the carb level on the chart that you want.

3. Adjust the pressure down to something that gives you a decent pour, then put the pressure back to your target/chart pressure in between pours.

4. Bit the bullet and replace the lines.

I got my keg kit from midwest as well, and i am still using the picnic taps with the short hoses.

I keep my freezer set to 39, carb and serve at 11-12, i have only had issue with one beer (Stout) ending up pouring with a bit too much head. I haven't had any foaming issues with any other beers and i've gone through about 6 kegs so far.
That's great to know 1st hand expierence is always best. I hope i have he same outcome as you.

I just kegged for the first time last Friday. I'd say my lines are about 5-6', and I'm carbing at 12 psi for an American wheat. I really hope I don't run into the foaming trouble that requires some additional length of the beer lines. I know, patience is everything, but is it ok to try a pint tomorrow and see if it's coming along? I'm going to assume it won't be fully carbed, and ideally I should wait at least one more week before it's really drinkable, but I really can't wait anymore. This will be my first time drawing a pint from my own kegerator of my own beer! Also, once the beer is in the keg and carbing, does it matter whether or not I connect my beer line? Right now, I don't have it connected just because I knew I wasn't going to be dispensing it for a while. Thanks for the help!

Beer line and fittings are relatively cheap, so just fab up some lines that correspond to the pressures you intend to serve at. I've got a few 5 footers for "normal" beers, a couple 3 footers for bitters and porters, and an 8' line for Hefe's and other highly carbed beers. Cost me maybe $25 for all that.

Back