time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That being said, I'll probably not actually have the beer until dinner... I tend to do it that way ESPECIALLY for new or strong beers, as I often need to pair such beers with complementary food in order to really enjoy the whole thing and not feel like I'm just choking the beer down.

So I'll just post a pic if you don't have one by then... more realistically in about *200* minutes (probably 7:30-8:00EDT).

Beer makes me sleepy, so it is usually better if I wait til later in the day. I'll still have mid-day beers on occasion, but there is a good chance that I'll be in bed early on those days.

GI don't need to wait until some arbitrary time just so I can reassure myself that I don't have a problem.

i do. it's called my work schedule. :cross:

for some reason, they discourage drinking at work.

FromZwolle said:
i do. it's called my work schedule. :cross:

for some reason, they discourage drinking at work.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to times when there are no other commitments that would prevent you from doing so. Note the use of the word arbitrary :D

That's not what I meant. I was referring to times when there are no other commitments that would prevent you from doing so. Note the use of the word arbitrary :D

yeah, yeah, yeah. post a pic of your super secret beer already. :cross:

A little late, but like I said, I don't exactly just start drinking when the clock tells me it's "okay".

beer14.jpg

Just to make sure it's a valid guess, I want the country RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING this particular style to prefix the name, e.g. German Pils. This is somewhat of a hint unto itself though.

Hint #2: This 500ml bottle got me fairly buzzed with a double digit ABV!

No to all.

Intensely malty. No detectable roastiness

And... surprise, surprise (coming from me? Not really!)... but the beer is NOT, strictly speaking, a BJCP style.

And don't forget, I want the name of the country responsible for creating the style to prefix the name (eg German Pilsner), to ensure you actually have the right answer, rather than a similarly named, but incorrect style. Because of this, if you don't follow the standard I require, but get the answer otherwise "correct", I'm going to treat it as completely wrong and not even mention how close it is - unless referring back to it as a hint a bit later on.

Since its emjay, and its a 500 ml bottle, and its a double digit abv beer, im going to have to deduce that its a belgian ale. And obviously a very obscure one at that. One that he'd only "heard about" before, and this is coming from a French Canadian beer geek. The only way were going to get this is to research little known belgian ale styles, and just start hammering away at it. Everybody needs to help out on this one.

Is this particular beer not a BJCP style because of its country of origin, or is the base style itself not a BJCP style.

My guess for now is German porter, but most likely the porter part makes it incorrect since that is a defined style.

bottlebomber said:
My latest guess - Belgian Scotch Ale

This is DEAD on. Congrats :D

Sorry about taking so long though. But you got the answer much sooner than I expected.

emjay said:
This is DEAD on. Congrats :D

Sorry about taking so long though. But you got the answer much sooner than I expected.

Nice! It was kind of a shot in the dark, but when I found the information your clue made it seem right... obviously you wouldn't have responded to Scottish style scotch ale, which is why you asked for the origin. Now I need to find a Belgian Scotch Ale recipe... it looks grand

bottlebomber said:
Nice! It was kind of a shot in the dark, but when I found the information your clue made it seem right... obviously you wouldn't have responded to Scottish style scotch ale, which is why you asked for the origin. Now I need to find a Belgian Scotch Ale recipe... it looks grand

Yeah, it's a pretty killer beer... as far as ultra-malty and no/low-roast beers go, it definitely kicks the crap out of doppelbocks, in my experience.

I DO plan to eventually clone it, or at least brew a similar beer in the same style. Although if I wanna do the former, I'll probably have to pick up a few more "reference samples", as I only bought one - they weren't exactly cheap! And I'm *NOT* French Canadian, but I DID pick it up while I was in Montreal (about 5 hours away) because the Ontario beer market is just awful - without exaggeration, the worst in the US/Canada - and so it'll probably be a while before I get the chance to buy some more... no earlier than Christmas, anyways.

Definitely worth seeking out if you don't just simply hate ultra-malty beers like some people do. I don't recall it having much, if any, noticeable Belgian yeast character either.

By the way, where and how did you find "information" on this style? Especially without a whole lot of specific information from me to help you know where to look?

Man..had scotch ale running through the noggin, too...odd combo, especially with no yeast flavor

My guess, rye pa

For the Belgian Scotch Ale, I looked around on the web quite a bit but the only beers I could find that matched the description were quads. Then my search took me to good ol wikipedia, where it was listed as a style. I knew I hit gold when I saw that

A-aight then, heferly, you're nice. I owe you a beer.

First clue: This picture "has been left intentionally vague..."

DSC_9702.jpg

Both carboys are the same batch.
All clues will be pictures.
I'll post the 2nd picture as the first clue tomorrow.

BOOOOM! That lasted seven minutes... um...
mortal-kombat-project-10.jpg

How'd you know?
Is it because that's pretty much all I brew? :D

BOOOOM! That lasted seven minutes... um...
mortal-kombat-project-10.jpg

How'd you know?
Is it because that's pretty much all I brew? :D

it looks like you just racked into the carboys and maybe oxegenated. with wort that color and that murkey (from all the hops) i just figured ipa was the most likely beer.

Back