Parti-Gyle This!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
So, I am going to do this recipe and was hoping for 1/3 big beer to 2/3 small beer. The recipe I was given listed the batch size as 11 gallons, and when I plug the recipe into "Beer Calculus" as 10 gallons it shows the the OG as 1.068. The recipe creator has told me he has been using the recipe to get 5 gallons of the big beer and 10 gallons of the small beer.

So, do I need to recalculate grains based on a 15 gallon batch, or am I missing something?

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 52.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 0.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
18 lbs 4.6 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.1 %
2 lbs 15.3 oz Oats, Flaked - (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.0 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 9.3 %
1 lbs 2.9 oz Debittered Black Malt (530.0 SRM) Grain 4.4 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.7 %
15.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRMGrain 3.5 %

Ive been wanting to do a partigyle for a while myself. I think that the recipe is fine, anyone out there with more experience can correct me if im wrong but I believe you are going to mash the beer and sparge it to get a 5 gallon strong beer post boil and Sparge again to get 10 gallons of a weaker beer post boil.

Either that or the person who gave you the recipe was splitting the beers post boil and topping off with water

you need to calculate the total amount of ppg you need. say your 'small' batch is 1.04 and your 'big' batch is 1.08, you would need 10*40 + 5*80 = 800 total points if your doing 15 total gallons. if that recipe gets you that total amount of points, then you'll just be topping off the smaller one

My two attempts at partigyle were pretty discouraging. One beer was tolerable and the other was pretty awful. My advice is to make sure you have enough fermentables for the small beer and to have some DME handy in case it needs a boost. Maybe it was just me, but my second extraction was weaker than all the partigyle resources had predicted.

Back