Hops in pots, during winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I am trying to find out some information on what to do with my hops during the winter. I have just recently transplanted from the ground into pots. As soon as I replanted the hops took off and are growing much much much better now. I will keep them as they are but during the winter should I bring them indoors?

if it gets real cold,you can just plant the pots..with the hops in them. that way the roots cant freeze. our big tropical plants on our porch get pulled into our garage during winter. build a mound out of straw bails to keep the pot insulated.

while keeping the pots in the garage, do you still need to lightly water every now and than(similar to rain)

and also, can they be complete dark or should they be by a window?

I live in the SF bay area and it gets below freezing here a few times a winter but not to severe. I left mine out side in their wine barrels and they came back strong this spring.

while keeping the pots in the garage, do you still need to lightly water every now and than(similar to rain)

Nope. Just let them sit. Doesn't matter if they're near light or not. My garage is pretty dark and they actually start growing again around late winter/early spring.

I put mine in the garage last year and gave them a nice pile of compost on top for some nutrients to use. I watered maybe once every 2 months. Also, as the compost broke down into the soil I added more.

I am trying to find out some information on what to do with my hops during the winter. I have just recently transplanted from the ground into pots. As soon as I replanted the hops took off and are growing much much much better now. I will keep them as they are but during the winter should I bring them indoors?

In North Carolina you will be fine. You can leave them out, even in western NC.

1) You should let them dry out unless the temp is warm enough that it will never freeze...

2) you should not water it like a "growing plant"... moistening the soil every once in a while is probably no big deal one way or the other. It IS dormant after all.

When I move my pots in the shed for the winter (figs, herbs, etc) I let em dry out and then leave em out there all winter... Shed doesn't necessarily prevent them from "freezing" but it protects them from the winds and the sun on the shed keeps the temps from being too low for extended periods of time.

Latest posts

Back