Cacao nibs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
I got an ounce of these thrown in my latest homebrew supply order as an extra. I'm thinking of using them in a porter recipe that I'm going to brew.

I'm wondering what people have had most success with: boiling or adding the nibs directly to the primary fermentor?

Also, is adding one ounce enough to really impart anything to the beer?

Any input would be great... Thanks!

If you add them to the boil you will get bitterness, so make sure that is what you are looking for. Secondary (or keg) will get you the coco flavor and aroma.

If you add them to the boil you will get bitterness, so make sure that is what you are looking for. Secondary (or keg) will get you the coco flavor and aroma.

I'm glad you posted this because I was going to add it to the kettle. I'm definitely adding to secondary now. Thanks!

No problem, I'm glad you got them! I was getting worried when nobody was saying anything :)

Here is how I did it on a beer I made.

People seem to be concerned with sanitizing them, wasn't sure so I put them in a blender and broke them up just a bit to espose the insides a bit more. Roasted them in a 350 oven (don't remember how long, but it was at least 15min).

Cooled and then added to secondary.

I used 4 oz in a Russian Imperial Stout. Made a big impact even over a year later.

I had no concerned about sanitizing them and added 4oz to the secondary of 5 gal of a Russian Imperial Stout with two split vanilla beans. I was gong for a big cocoa flavor which I got and the women folk love it. When the nibs came out of the beer we mixed them into a batch of stout brownies.

I had no concerned about sanitizing them and added 4oz to the secondary of 5 gal of a Russian Imperial Stout with two split vanilla beans. I was gong for a big cocoa flavor which I got and the women folk love it. When the nibs came out of the beer we mixed them into a batch of stout brownies.

I was planning on using nibs in secondary sometime and then using them in a cheesecake. mmmm.... stout soaked cocoa nibs in cheesecake...

Back