Help! Grain bag broke!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing a Maibock tonight with my brewing partner and the grainbag broke during the steep. I know we do not want to boil the grains and we still have about 20 minutes left in the steep to figure out what to do.

My initial thought: Pour the wort through a large strainer into another brewpot and then pour back through the strainer into a third brewpot.

Is the third pot necessary, or will one be sufficient?

Thanks!:confused:

Got some cheesecloth lying around? You could line your strainer with it to strain finer particles out. Otherwise, just strain once or twice as you mention and go from there.

Just strain it. The husks (which contain the tannins) will be in big pieces & are easy to remove. The grain bits can be boiled without a problem.

One time I used one of my wife's Knee-High pantyhose for a steep. It worked awesome. Put all my grains in a wide mouth mason jar, wrapped the panty hose around the lid and turned it over to let the grains slide into the jar. Then I tied it off and steeped away. Worked like a charm!

Latest posts

Back