Bad yeast smack pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friday

Reaction score
I need some quick advice, im doing a mead at the time of this post. I just went to the brew shop today and picked up a wyeast 4632 dry mead smack pack. The mfg is 01/20/09 i activated it 4 hours ago and it hasent swelled at all at room temp. This is the first mead pack i have ever used and all the beer yeast i have ever purchesed has swelled up by this time. Should i use it, could it be a bad pack, im just not shure what to do any advice would be help full thanks.

some of mine swell and some do not. I know you have done this but just encase- did you make sure the inner bubble broke?

I cannot think of a reason you shouldn't go pitch and see. worst case senario nothing happens and you have to re pitch on Monday right?

prob be the best beer you have ever brewed!

Ya im shure it broke this is the oldest dated i have ever used ive never had one that didnt swell compleatly in less then six hours maby ive just been lucky.

You could also take enough of your honey and mix with water to make about a 1.040 starter to see if you get any action. I have no idea how much honey you would need though as I haven't gotten into meads yet.

yeast_starter.htm

Latest posts

Back