False bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombeer

Reaction score
I just started using a false bottom purchased from moreBeer. It's dome shaped so the outer circumference sits flat on the bottom of my roundstyle cooler. Aside from taking much longer to clear my runnings then with my original SS hose braid, I noticed that through-out my entire fly-sparge I was still getting some grain bits flowing through. I would say a couple "bits" every few seconds. Is that normal for these false bottoms?

Thanks guys,

Scott.

(it was also my first time fly sparging)

I just started using a false bottom purchased from moreBeer. It's dome shaped so the outer circumference sits flat on the bottom of my roundstyle cooler. Aside from taking much longer to clear my runnings then with my original SS hose braid, I noticed that through-out my entire fly-sparge I was still getting some grain bits flowing through. I would say a couple "bits" every few seconds. Is that normal for these false bottoms?

Thanks guys,

Scott.

(it was also my first time fly sparging)

Not really common... unless your sparge water is upsetting the grain bed or channeling to a degree.

Back