Rare sighting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Just stopped at the local beer store and saw what had to be the biggest bottle of beer I have ever seen... As I lifted it out of the box it was in (which contained four of these behemoths), noticing the flip-top cap complete w/ a padlock and two keys and then I realized it was Stone Brewing's Double Bastard....

I **** you not, the bottle was at least two feet tall...

They hadn't put it in the system yet, but the counter guy said he recalled the price to be somewhere near $160...

SWMBO wouldn't let me buy it because she doesn't love me...

(j/k, she does, and shows me by letting me brew instead of working on the house all the time)

Pics will be take if it is still there next time...

GO BUY THAT RIGHT NOW!!! If that was in a store near me it wouldn't last a day, actually the guy who manages the place would have had them sold prior to them even coming in the door.

Yeah, I liked A.B., but not enough to plop down nearly two bones for a novelty bottle...

Although, I am tempted, I figure I can get a few more burners, and some piping for my eventual AG rig for what I would spend on it...

Too pricey for me- I'd kill for some of those bottles, though!

I've never seen the point of monster beers in big bottles. Three liters of DB is enough alcohol to kill most people. Other than a large party, where would you open one?

I've never seen the point of monster beers in big bottles. Other than a large party, where would you open one?

I probably wouldn't buy one as I'd much rather spend that money on ingrediants to make 4-5 batches but if you're looking to get druck, I'd say opening one of those monsters would put someone on that path. :drunk:

I've never seen the point of monster beers in big bottles. Three liters of DB is enough alcohol to kill most people. Other than a large party, where would you open one?

That's kind of the idea. It is for an occasion. The 3 liter bottle I have is of 14% alcohol beer. I really just wanted it to look at.

bottlesizes.gif

Type ------------------Capacity ---------------Number of bottles
Quarter (not shown)----18.75 cl -----------------1/4
Half-Bottle--------------37.5 cl------------------1/2
Bottle ------------------75 cl--------------------1
Magnum ----------------1.5 l --------------------2
Jeroboam ---------------3 l ----------------------4
Rehoboam---------------4.5 l --------------------6
Methuselah --------------6 l ---------------------8
Salmanazar --------------9 l ---------------------12
Balthazar ----------------12 l --------------------16
Nebuchadnezzar----------15 l --------------------20

Big bottles are for parties. That's the whole point. They are awesome to open up at gathering. The largest I have had was a Methuselah and it came with a rocking pourer..... just awesome!

Just stopped at the local beer store and saw what had to be the biggest bottle of beer I have ever seen... As I lifted it out of the box it was in (which contained four of these behemoths), noticing the flip-top cap complete w/ a padlock and two keys and then I realized it was Stone Brewing's Double Bastard....

I **** you not, the bottle was at least two feet tall...

They hadn't put it in the system yet, but the counter guy said he recalled the price to be somewhere near $160...

They have this same bottle at the store next to my house. They are selling it for $69.99. It's pretty f'ing big.

Well maybe he quoted me wrong.... Then again, if Oak Aged A.B. is going for $15.50 a sixer here, it may be $160... I will check again today...

I just saw this at Woodman's in Madison. They are $64 a bottle here. I had a 22oz at my house that I'm drinking right now. Maybe I'll ask for one of these for Christmas.

One of the beer stores I go to seems to always have one of those for sale. Are they supposed to be rare?

Latest posts

Back