Kentucky Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First of all -- Happy New Year everyone!!

Now, I had some Kentucky Ale tonight. It said it was brewed in Lexington. It was good. We were having some drinking talk about what kind of hops is in it. They're very noticeable. Anyone know the type of hops in it?

Thanks!

I had that beer when I was in Lexington a few years ago. They had a booth set up at the Rolex Horse Trials in the Kentucky Horse Park. I remember thinking it was pretty awesome, I kept going back for more. I checked the website, there's not many details about it, other than it's a marriage between an English Pale and an Irish Red. So that would make me think of EKG or Fuggles, but who knows.

From RB:
Kentucky Ale is a marriage between two classic beer styles, Irish Red Ale and English Pale Ale. The Kentucky Ale mashing program uses: • the finest 2-row imported Harrington malt, • select caramel malt varieties grown both domestically and abroad, • a pinch of wheat malt for a smooth, creamy taste. Varieties of the English hops East Kent Goldings and Fuggles impart a spicy yet soft, floral aroma without a harsh, bitter aftertaste. These ale hops are used to balance the sweetness of the malt and are an important flavor component of Kentucky Ale. Light copper in color, the unique body and character of Kentucky Ale is heavily influenced by the water, drawn from aquifers in the limestone underlying the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky.
Kentucky Ale from Lexington Brewing Co. (Alltech), a Amber Ale style beer: An unofficial page for Kentucky Ale from Lexington Brewing Co. (Alltech) in Lexington, Kentucky , United States of America - RateBeer

...I thought the stuff was pretty weak at best

Back