Primary Bucket and Hot wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthompson116

Reaction score
Do these primary buckets handle hot wort well? Would like to use them for transfer right after boil.

Thanks,

Chris

They should, but most people chill their wort as much as possible, then pour it into the fermenter. I think that HSA (hot side aeration) is not likely, but I never take a chance if I can avoid it and don't pour hot wort.

Do you have to put it in the fermenter while it's so hot?

Trying to do multiple brews fairly quickly and only have one boil pot (10 gal, with the valve at the bottom. So my idea was once boiling is complete transfer to a fermenter and use wort chiller in fermenter. While chilling I can be starting my second batch.

C

get another pot, your methods seem like a pain in the ass, hold off on some grains and buy some equipment

for my first beer i used the "alton brown method" of throwing a bag of ice in the bucket, and pouring the hot, near boiling wort through a large strainer straight into the bucket, melting the ice and quickly cooling the wort.

the bucket was fine (no damage, no melting) and the beer did not end up oxidized even after 6 months of aging. others have used this method for their entire brewing careers without a problem.

however, concerns about the possibility of:
a)contamination from the unboiled ice
b)melting plastic
c)a catastrophic near-boiling wort spill and
d)to a much lesser extent, oxidation

have lead me to change my process so that the wort is chilled in the kettle before siphoning into the fermenter.

a batch of beer is a big investment of time, and losing one SUCKS. if there's an acceptable way to minimize the risk i'm all for it. for partial boils an ice bath in the sink is cheap and easy to do.

Sounds like you are making it more complicated. It doesnt take that much time to cool the wort (an hour or so if you are not using any special methods). If time is of the issue why not use the free time to do something else.

Sounds like you are making it more complicated. It doesnt take that much time to cool the wort (an hour or so if you are not using any special methods). If time is of the issue why not use the free time to do something else.

It takes less than 15 minutes to chill a 5 gallon batch with a wort chiller. I'd chill first, then put it in the fermenter. I wouldn't take the chance.

I think the bucket could hold boiling temperatures, but I don't know if it would release any "plastic stuff" at boiling temperatures. It's food safe, but I'm not sure it would still be food safe at boiling temperatures. I don't know if that would leach anything out or not.

I dont use a wort chiller but I still can cool my wort in under an hour. While it cools down I sanitize my primary and do other misc things.

Back