Double IPA Stone Enjoy By IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Labelpeelers.com. They are pretty well stocked still on most stuff. I think amarillo is about the only one they are completely sold out of. I want to say they started taking pre-orders for the 2012 crop late last fall or it may have even been december. I may be mis-remembering that though. The 2013 southern hemisphere crop (nelson, galaxy, motueka) just became available in the last month or so.

I got everything for this brew, with a few substitutions, and will be brewing hopefully tomorrow. I couldn't find WLP007 yeast locally so I have 2 packets of S04. Also, I'll be substituting Apollo for the mash hop and the hop extract and will substitute Cascade for the Delta. I'll let you know how it goes!

I brewed this today using 10 lbs of American and 7 lbs of English 2 row. I had to adjust the hops a bit based on my inventory.

One thing to note...
I had to mash overnight because kids. I got great efficiency, probably close to 80%. I do biab.

I'll oxygenate and pitch a huge amount if 05 tomorrow (I finish the cooling in the fermenter).

I will keep you posted!

Brewed this yesterday. I guess I was short on my strike water volume as I ended up a good gallon short post-boil. But my OG was over 1.090 so I ended up diluting with a gallon of boiled & cooled water. What a pain in the a$$ but I bet I'll pay closer attention to my water amounts next time. Pitched 2 packets of S-04 and it's humming along nicely this morning. Hopefully my screw up didn't affect the beer too badly. Of all the batches to screw up on, it had to be THIS one.:smack:

UPDATE: Blowing off like a mofo now, just about 24hrs after pitching.

seatbelt123 said:
I brewed this today using 10 lbs of American and 7 lbs of English 2 row. I had to adjust the hops a bit based on my inventory.

One thing to note...
I had to mash overnight because kids. I got great efficiency, probably close to 80%. I do biab.

I'll oxygenate and pitch a huge amount if 05 tomorrow (I finish the cooling in the fermenter).

I will keep you posted!

Quick update. I it took a sample. It's down to 1.012. I had it fermenting at about 64 (bucket temp). I just raised it to 70 t get it to finish up. It' smells great, hazy, a big but not boozy, quit bitter. Hop flavor reflects the blend that I used which I clouded citra, Amarillo, centennial, and calypso (a bit of the juicy fruit).

Lets see where this goes...

Check my blog in my signature, it's like 1 or two posts down. It turns out fantastic with American yeast. WLp007 gets it a little closer, but 090 I think makes a better beer.

Try it with 090, you won't be disappointed.

Glad you beer was a hit at your wedding. Congrats!

I think the only hops I didn't see at my LHBS were Calypso and Delta (or your sub, Belma). Any subs I can use if I can't get those?

And I just finished reading the comments and I see you say you don't think the wort hops really did anything, so could I omit them or put in some left over hops I have? I have about a half pound of centennial I could use (don't really want to "waste" those, but I got them cheaper by buying a pound) and some random < 1 oz packets. I'm not opposed to buying more, but that's ~$7 in hop in the wort which I'd rather not waste money on if I don't half to.

i haven't had all the top IIPA's but i think the best beer i have ever had was enjoy. i am going freaking crazy that they didn't put it out in chicago this time around (why would you want to put out a beer in the SECOND BIGGEST CITY IN AMERICA???). so glad you put out this recipe, it's coming very soon on my list of to do's.

Centennial would be fine to sub for Belma. Just something fruity. The only hops you really can't sub are galaxy and Nelson Sauvin.

Thanks for the info.

I got the Galaxy and Nelson at my LHBS. I was there for other stuff and they had them so I bought them and will probably make the Enjoy in a month or so.

I start with R/O. I then add gypsum and calcium chloride, and finally use some acid malt to get the pH where it needs to be.

At the end of the day my water is what you would consider middle of the road. I only start with RO because our water here in Phoneix is hard enough to walk on most of the year.
Can you post what your resulting water profile is for this?

Thoughts on doing an extract with no specialty grains? I've got some extra pale lme that is really fermentable. I'm worried about head retention.

Centennial would be fine to sub for Belma. Just something fruity. The only hops you really can't sub are galaxy and Nelson Sauvin.

Brewed this past weekend, 1/2 oz Fuggle and 1/2 oz Cascade to sub for the Delma... the crazy thing is, my LHBS was out of Centennial & Simcoe... luckily I had just enough in my freezer to get all the hops right minus the Delma. Will sample and post back after 12/7 (three weeks bottle conditioned).

Are you talking about Listermann's? I was hoping to brew this in a month or so. I have the centennial and I bought the galaxy and nelson when I saw it there last time I was there because I knew I was brewing this soon. I can't remember if I have enough simcoe though.

Are you talking about Listermann's? I was hoping to brew this in a month or so. I have the centennial and I bought the galaxy and nelson when I saw it there last time I was there because I knew I was brewing this soon. I can't remember if I have enough simcoe though.

Yeah, though that was 10/19, I would hope they've since gotten more Simcoe and Centennial, since i thought they were fairly common. Just a hint, if you're on Facebook send Listermann's a message if you're looking for a particular hop; I asked them prior to going down on the 19th if they had galaxy and they replied back within an hour confirming they did. When i got there they had what appeared to be 100 oz, lol.

Just got everything for this, but I only have one 5ml hopshot. According to northern brewer's website, I should get around 50 ibu's from this. That is very close to the 20 AAU (which equals 56 ibu's) called for in the recipe.

Any opinions on what to do? I am probably just going to roll with the 5ml hopshot. Total ibu's are ending up over 100 and that's not even taking into account the 20 minute hop stand.

Just got everything for this, but I only have one 5ml hopshot. According to northern brewer's website, I should get around 50 ibu's from this. That is very close to the 20 AAU (which equals 56 ibu's) called for in the recipe.

Any opinions on what to do? I am probably just going to roll with the 5ml hopshot. Total ibu's are ending up over 100 and that's not even taking into account the 20 minute hop stand.

I didn't look too hard at the LHBS, I meant to ask about hop extract, but they were having their Octoberfest (they brew beer, along with several other local breweries), so i forgot to ask amisdt all the festivities. What I forgot to mention above was that I used 35 grams (~1.25 oz) of Columbus hops @ 60 Minutes for bittering. I scaled the whole recipe to a 60 minute boil.

Calculated IBU for this recipe is well north of 100. Well north. So don't worry about that.

And northern brewers hop shot calculator is way the F off.

1ml of hopshot equates to 2AAU. Or a 5ml hopshot equates to 1oz of a 10% hop.

So add one oz of a 10% hop, or .75oz of a 15% hop. You get the idea

I added 2oz of magnum to an IIPA with a calculated IBU of 178 but it wasn't even as bitter as ruination(100). Calculated ibus above 80 should be taken with a grain of salt.

Think I will finally be brewing this soon. Have a few questions.
You said that you threw in the Belma mash hops because you wanted to get rid of them. Does stone actually hop the mash? Do you think they were necessary for the exact clone you are describing?
To what volume did you carbonate?
I start with R/O. I then add gypsum and calcium chloride, and finally use some acid malt to get the pH where it needs to be.
How much gypsum and calcium chloride did you use in what initial volume? What was your mash pH?

Looking forward to this! Thanks in advance.

Also, on Stone's website, in the video of Mitch talking about the hops he does not mention Target. Did he say that was included in the email he sent you?

Stone hops the mash with calypso. I don't think they are really necessary. Play around with it.

Target was on their blog when talked about the beer at first. I couldn't tell you what's there now.

Carb to 2.4vol or so.

I want to say it was like 1.5tsp gypsum and .5tsp calcium chloride per 5gal for this beer. I also add 2% Acid malt to the grist.

Good luck with it!

hey scott, could you give a brief explanation on how you use a keg as a secondary? do you have an airlock rigged into the lid?

Sure,
I purge the keg with CO2, rack into it, toss in my dry hops and seal it up. Then I purge the headspace with Co2.

The mistake I made a first was trying to open the keg at room temp, it will blow up on you. Foam and hops everywhere. Chill it to at least 50F before you open it to add more hops. Purge the headspace anytime you open the lid.

Drop the keg in the fridge for 24hrs before you rack to a clean keg.

Purge a clean keg with CO2, carefully rack the beer off the hops into the clean keg.

It's a lot more work, but it really makes a difference on these big DIPAs. I'm not finding as much of a difference on 6% an lower beers though.

I want to say it was like 1.5tsp gypsum and .5tsp calcium chloride per 5gal for this beer. I also add 2% Acid malt to the grist.
More of a general water chemistry question, but do you ever get a sour taste from the lactic acid in the acid malt? I would need to add closer to 3% to get my pH down to 5.5 using my water with gypsum. Do you think that could be an issue with adding a sour taste?

I had the enjoy by 12-12-13...This beer makes pliny look pathetic in comparison. I like the recipe, looks good!

Have you had fresh Pliny? They are both excellent beers. I made a hybrid of the two. Just kegged a few days ago. It's the best of both beers! Over a pound of hops in that one.

ForumRunner_20131129_161147.jpg

Have you had fresh Pliny? They are both excellent beers. I made a hybrid of the two. Just kegged a few days ago. It's the best of both beers! Over a pound of hops in that one.

Oh yea... I remember the first time having pliny it was the first beer after a day of climbing in the north cascades and it blew my mind, liquid awesomeness.

I recently went on a trip through santa rosa and had it at the brewpub...still a great IPA but not nearly as aromatic and delicious as enjoy by IMO.

Brewing this tomorrow.
Just finished doing the water chemistry.
Adding a whirlpool arm to my brew kettle that I need to finish up before tomorrow as well as collecting the RO water.
Intending to use the Mangrove Jack M07 yeast for this brew, rehydrated with Go-Ferm. Hopefully that'll give it what it needs to ferment in one week!
Need to bottle up some older brews to make room in kegs for filtering. Going to try the BrewBrite system from NB. Looks simpler than the plate systems look. I think next Saturday I'll cold crash if the gravity indicates complete attenutation, so that after filtering I'll be able to rapidly carbonate with my carbonation stone and hopefully be drinking this 1 week from brew day! Dry hops will be added on days 3 and 5 into the conical. I may reserve a portion of the second dry hop addition for keg-hopping. Lately, I've tried fixing the string from the hop bag to the pressure relief nub or the gas-in tube using a sanitized worm clamp and screwdriver.

TD

WOW! Just finished up....

This beer better turn out good...

first off, brew day complications: decided to try the new whirlpool arm. well, lets say, it DID create a whirlpool. However, it did not produce a compact trub cone, just a 2 gallon thick layer of crud. AND I decided that since I'd end up with a nice trub cone, NOT to use hop sacks. Maybe I didn't wait long enough after shutting off the pump to let the cone develop...

I finished the boil, started the whirlpool and added flameout hops and let dwell for 20 minutes.
I then put the immersion chiller in (sanitized) and cooled with whirlpool recirculation going. Then chilled to near 70º before I ran out of ice water. Then I removed the coil and continued to whirlpool for 15 minutes and then shut off pump. then I let it rest a bit and ran off some wort to the fermenter through the Brewer's Hardware wort filter. This thing can clear the wort really really well...until it gets plugged with hops. But, its relatively easy to clear so that's a plus... Next time I brew this, definitely using hop sacks. Thought about using a hop spider, but seemed a bad idea. Searching for better wort filtering ideas before I brew again...

I put it to bed using some Mangrove Jack M07 yeast...

TD

It took me a while, but here's how I get my cone. On flameout, I start the pump with the chiller in the pot. You don't have to start the chiller at this point. Whirlpool and chill for however long you need. Turn off the pump and take the chiller out at the same time. Wait 20 minutes. You should have a good cone. Obviously with beers like this one with massive hop additions, the cone is usually not as good.

Oh yea... I remember the first time having pliny it was the first beer after a day of climbing in the north cascades and it blew my mind, liquid awesomeness.

I recently went on a trip through santa rosa and had it at the brewpub...still a great IPA but not nearly as aromatic and delicious as enjoy by IMO.

I would agree Enjoy By is awesome. I had the 12.13.13 a couple weeks ago I got in a trade. He sent me Piny, Enjoy By, and a Heady. The bottle on date on the Pliny was only about 2 weeks before I drank it. All three were fantastic but Enjoy By got my vote for best of the three. These three beers have a lot of hype around them to. They were great but it's not like they are way better than anything else you can get your hands on. These may be the cream of the crop but there are plenty of beers that are a close second.

Either way I can't wait to brew up this recipe. It looks great.

I brewed this yesterday. It was my first time adjusting the mash pH with acid and 3rd time adding salts. That part seemed to go okay. I used half the amount of lactic acid that Brun Water predicted (to make sure I didn't go too low). And then I used the full amount and the pH was at 5.4 (on a pH strip, so hopefully it was accurate enough).

I did have a slight issue with my mash temperature. It was good for about 45 mins where it noticed it dropped to 146F, so I decided to heat it more (I do BIAB so the pot doesn't hold the heat as well as a cooler would). It took a few minutes of heating to get it back up to 147F. After 75 minutes into the mash, I wanted to do the iodine test so I opened it up and checked the temp and it was in the low 150's. I guess I added too much heat and since I left it on the warm burner, I guess that caused it to continue to rise. Hopefully it was mostly converted at that point. After that, everything else seemed to go fine.

I used WLP090 yeast and I'm maintaining it at 66F degrees now.

Back