What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's wrong with that? I put aunt jemima and liquid smoke on my pancakes every morning. :p
I wanted to try that one just to try it, but never did successfully talk myself into buying it. It's been mentioned a lot in this thread, so I think I made the right decision.

Yea Ive had a lot of beers I dont like, mainly due to my dislike for hoppy beers, but this one I truly hated lol. You made the right decision.

Sweet Baby Jesus - Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.

I've heard of this beer, but have yet to see it on a menu until this past weekend. Had to give it a shot. Smelled good. The first taste was odd, but I've never tasted peanut butter in beer before. A few sips later, it started to grow on me. I was drinking this beer before our appetizers even came and quickly wished I had ordered it after the meal, maybe with a dessert. By the time I was half way through the glass I was already looking for something hoppy to wash away the peanut butter flavor. I pounded the 2nd half of the beer just to be done with it. It wasn't terrible, but not something I would ever order again. A novelty at best. I could see how someone could enjoy it with a chocolate dessert of some sort, but all by itself, no thanks.

I've heard of this beer, but have yet to see it on a menu until this past weekend. Had to give it a shot. Smelled good. The first taste was odd, but I've never tasted peanut butter in beer before. A few sips later, it started to grow on me. I was drinking this beer before our appetizers even came and quickly wished I had ordered it after the meal, maybe with a dessert. By the time I was half way through the glass I was already looking for something hoppy to wash away the peanut butter flavor. I pounded the 2nd half of the beer just to be done with it. It wasn't terrible, but not something I would ever order again. A novelty at best. I could see how someone could enjoy it with a chocolate dessert of some sort, but all by itself, no thanks.

For me, there wasnt more then a slight hint of PB in that beer. More chocolate then anything, and I thought it was a very good beer. I have had it multiple times and would have more of it, if it was available to me.

I really hope you're joking! 120 may not be for everyone, but you could trade it to almost anyone on this forum for almost anything. Plus, isn't it like $25-$30/4 pack?

Seriously the local piggly wiggly has it for 12$ all day long.. You boys are getting bent over the keg!

The only time I ever sent a beer back was one I ordered a few years ago, chlorophenols out the wazoo, medicinal and plasticy, sadly I know the flavor because of my first few brews. I don't even remember the brewery or beer

I'm in the same boat when it comes to Sweet Baby Jesus. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't care to drink more than half a pint in a sitting. Their Dirty Little Freak, however, I can down pretty easily. They just released it recently. It's a chocolate, coconut brown.

Sam Adam's Merry Maker. It tastes like there is everything in there that is NOT beer. Tastes like somebody dumped a bunch of chemical induced gingerbread in there...in a very bad way. I drank 1/3 of a bottle and dumped the rest. My wife said that it smells nice, which it did, but she made the same face I did when she drank a small pour.

For me, there wasnt more then a slight hint of PB in that beer. More chocolate then anything, and I thought it was a very good beer. I have had it multiple times and would have more of it, if it was available to me.

Either poor quality control or our tastes are just very different. Probably the latter. I got peanut butter, peanut butter, and more peanut butter. I think the worst part is how artificial it tasted. Again, 1/2 the pint was fine, but the taste continued to build and just got overwhelming. I'd consider a half pour with a chocolate dessert, but other than that, I'd just as soon never drink it again.

To each his own.

Get this... I'm also not a big fan of sours... GASP!

So far the worst Commercial brew, or at least the beer that is furthest from the realm of styles that I like is He'Brew Jewbelation brewed by Shmaltz Brewing Company, 17, 17 grains, 17 hops, 17% ABV it was so this, sweet and malty that it was mostly an unpleasant experience.

Sam Adam's Merry Maker. It tastes like there is everything in there that is NOT beer. Tastes like somebody dumped a bunch of chemical induced gingerbread in there...in a very bad way. I drank 1/3 of a bottle and dumped the rest. My wife said that it smells nice, which it did, but she made the same face I did when she drank a small pour.

Bought one of these around the holidays. Took two swigs and drain poured the rest. (After letting my wife tasting it like you did, with a similar opinion.)

Yup 4 pack still 12$ again last night and two of them were good after dinner.

DFH doesn't sell their 120's as a 4 pack. Never have. I've only ever seen them sold as singles. At least in my neck of the woods. I call shenanigans.

DFH doesn't sell their 120's as a 4 pack. Never have. I've only ever seen them sold as singles. At least in my neck of the woods. I call shenanigans.

I used to get DFH 90-minute and 120-minute mixed up. 120 was so hard to find that I started to doubt its existence, so when I saw 90-minute I thought I was seeing the pinnacle of their x-minute IPAs. I could see someone else making the same mistake.

I used to get DFH 90-minute and 120-minute mixed up. 120 was so hard to find that I started to doubt its existence, so when I saw 90-minute I thought I was seeing the pinnacle of their x-minute IPAs. I could see someone else making the same mistake.

I'm not a huge dfh fan but 75 min and Burton Baton are pretty good spinoffs of their minute series

I'm not a huge dfh fan but 75 min and Burton Baton are pretty good spinoffs of their minute series

I am a big fan of DFH and would bath in Burton Baton if it wasn't so cost prohibitive :D

I prefer 90min of all the "minute IPAs". 120 is ok, but at $9-$13/bottle... I just don't think it's worth the cost. I'll take a 90min or Burton Baton any day over a 120. The 60min is just an all around solid IPA... as well as the 75min, IMO.

These all sucked SO bad, with the acception of the Verloren gose. Even the IPA was a near drain pour, and it's hard to mess up an IPA. The imperial white was the worst of the lot. At 10.3%, so hot and disgusting, overly carbonated... an absolute disaster of a beer. Now that my memories of smoked bacon maple beer are fading, this gets bumped to the top of the list.

Sam_Adams_Small_Batch_Collection.jpg

These all sucked SO bad, with the acception of the Verloren gose. Even the IPA was a near drain pour, and it's hard to mess up an IPA. The imperial white was the worst of the lot. At 10.3%, so hot and disgusting, overly carbonated... an absolute disaster of a beer. Now that my memories of smoked bacon maple beer are fading, this gets bumped to the top of the list.

You had to know what you were getting into when purchasing that box of horrors. :p

Sam Adams has been a bunch of swing and a miss lately. I bought their Rebel IPA 6 pack the other day, hoping for something good, considering they had Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, and Amarillo hops. However, it is 45 IBU's and there is no hop flavor to it. Just a mild hop bitterness.
The only constant beer sam adams does right is the boston lager. Everything else they try tends to suck pretty bad.

Sam Adams has been a bunch of swing and a miss lately. I bought their Rebel IPA 6 pack the other day, hoping for something good, considering they had Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, and Amarillo hops. However, it is 45 IBU's and there is no hop flavor to it. Just a mild hop bitterness.
The only constant beer sam adams does right is the boston lager. Everything else they try tends to suck pretty bad.

You must have gotten an old batch or something. Its not good, but the aroma and flavor are decent and done better than average IPAs out there

I do like their winter ale though :)

Agree. My inlaws are mostly BMC drinkers but usually have Boston Lager or Winter Lager at their house. I can't complain much with those.. they're pretty solid for the style. However, the Mich Ultra.. that's another story ;)

Anything from Estes Park Brewery. It's a Chuck-E-Cheeze-style kids place that is also a "craft" (crap) brewery. Weird combo, and all of their beer was terrible. I lived in Estes for a while, and it was ALWAYS terrible. I would also second the votes for SN Torpedo. I love IPAs of all types, but I could barely make it through one bottle (I bought a sixer). I even bought it again one time to see if my first sixer was spoiled or treated badly- same experience.

Anything from Estes Park Brewery. It's a Chuck-E-Cheeze-style kids place that is also a "craft" (crap) brewery. Weird combo, and all of their beer was terrible. I lived in Estes for a while, and it was ALWAYS terrible. I would also second the votes for SN Torpedo. I love IPAs of all types, but I could barely make it through one bottle (I bought a sixer). I even bought it again one time to see if my first sixer was spoiled or treated badly- same experience.

It's a little sticky

Long Trail puts their Blueberry Wheat into their Survival Pack sampler. I 've gone out for more beer several times when it is the only thing left in the fridge. To be fair, I don't think anybody 's somethingberry wheat would agree with my tastebuds.

Long Trail puts their Blueberry Wheat into their Survival Pack sampler. I 've gone out for more beer several times when it is the only thing left in the fridge. To be fair, I don't think anybody 's somethingberry wheat would agree with my tastebuds.

Blueberry wheat? Haven't seen it yet. Their blackberry wheat is one if the reasons I stopped drinking garbage. Do I like it now? Meh. Also, I have yet to try a decent blueberry beer...I just don't think it's meant to be. Right now, long trails big winner is limbo IMHO

Green mountain high!

The beer distributor delivery man told us that the old beer goes to die at big lot stores like SAMs club. Grocery stores have the fresh beer. We had this conversation after complaining about a popular German beer that we used to like.
Yvette

Back