Top-rated Pale ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, very soon I'm going to start all grain, and I want my first AG batch to be a good one.

Simple question: Can you point me in the direction of a top-rated pale ale recipe? Something that is universally loved, and possibly an easy first AG batch?

I've perused the recipes section, but I know a lot of times there are well known recipes from the site that many people suggest, and that's what I'm hoping for here.

If it matters, I like my hoppy beers to be "hoppier" on the aroma and flavor side, and less so on the bitter side...if that makes sense...

Thanks!

Thanks, Agent. The mirror pond sounds damn tasty, cascades across the board.

The zombie one (though I love the name of it) sounds like it wouldn't have quite as much hop aroma and flavor. Pretty high ABV on it though, which I like. :drunk:

Thanks for the suggestions!

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale or Yooper's House Pale are staples on this site. Both can be found with a quick search of the Pale Ale section of the recipe forum.

Buy this Book: Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew by Jamil Zainasheff. I recommend it to everyone, especially if you are starting out.

I too am looking for a pale ale on the hoppy side and haven't found one I really like. I brewed EdWorts and it is a little low on hop flavor and aroma so I think I am going to dry hop it in the keg shortly to get a little more from it. I really like Abita Pale Ale, the one they made for the flood, but I have not found a clone of it yet. Also, Great South Bay Robert Moses Pale Ale is very good. I may have to email them and see if they will share some of the recipe. I seem to like the pale ales up at 40 IBU or so.

A lot of these sound great; I'm going to have a hard time choosing. My current problem is I'm not all that familiar with the differences between hops, so it's hard to choose which I might like best. I know I like Cascade though.

I'll look for that book, thanks!

Back