mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the round 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler. It works great for my batch sparging. So far I have not has a grain bill that fills it much more than half way. It also holds temperature to 2 degrees over an hour.

10 gallon cooler will be plenty big for 90% of the recipes out there for 5 gallon batches.

Your tun needs to hold: ~1.4qts per pound of grain and figure the grain displaces .08 gallons per pound. Thats about 1.72qts per pound in displacement. A 10 gallon tun could do about a 17 pound grain bill to the tippy top.You could cut back to about 1.25 qts per pound if your grain bill gets big like that.

I plan on making it myself out of a cooler. I was looking at a 46 quart cooler. so that should be big enough. please give my suggestions on how to make it. I was going to use the braided hose to a plastic hose.

There are two options. This is the best source for building your own - it is incredibly easy:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

In additiom. most of the online retailers will sell a conversion kit. I did the first one and it was about 20 minutes start to finish. If you go the DIY route make sure you get a stainless steel braid. I believe Home Depot sells plastic ones that look like stainless.

Good luck

Back