Homemade secondary regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfwar

Reaction score
Anyone know any issues with this idea?
Using parts around the shop and some ordered parts came up with plans for a secondary regulator system
(6) 1/4" SS threaded tees
(2) 1/4" x 4" SS threaded nipples
(1) 1/4" SS plug
(9) 1/4" close nipples
(3) 1/4" brass threaded ball valves
(4) 1/4" threaded barbs
(3) 1/4" regulators
(3) 1/4" 0-60psi gauges

Any tips would be recommended. Will post when done otherwise. Ordering parts this weekend unless otherwise noted

image-798141575.jpg

image-2929054164.png

HMMMM gives me ideas on what to do with that extra spunding valve I have laying around. Wouldnt this work with a pressure relief valve? as long as your secondary is lower than the primary reg it should only allow the pressure that the relief valve is set at to the secondary keg.

LordUlrich said:
Check valves to Protect your regulators. Otherwise should work.

Forgot about that. Northern brewer has ball valves for $3 each. Thx for reminding me

I don't think that will give you the precision you desire. When running an impact wrench 10 psi off your target isnt a deal breaker. In our work, that is a really big deal.

Sent from my Android using Home Brew Talk

make sure the regulators are CO2 safe. some of those meant for Air can be destroyed by the acidic nature of CO2.

Could i use this for the regulator?
if you had a pressure gauge on it you could probably dial it in pretty close, but the needle valves those use have no where near the fine control of diaphragm valves normal regulators have.

Forgot to upload finished. Was a fun project. Had to do some leak chasing. Turned out great.

image-3535864765.jpg

Inside door. Secondary regulator

image-813059912.jpg

Outside primary regulator

ckwatkins said:
So how much did your project cost in the end?

Most parts were around the shop. About $60-75.

I will take some close ups tonight

Back