Backsweeten options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
I currently have a 5 gal batch of Edworts apfelwein siting in my carboy coming up on a month. I want to make it have some sweetness to it as it is very dry. Any suggestions on the best way I have searched with so many different ways. My thought was to kill fermentation and then add a couple gallons ( or to taste ) of apple juice or and lactose. I am going to be kegging this stuff so bottle conditioning is not needed for carbing.

Thanks for any help

Are you going to keg it and throw it into the fridge? If so just cold crash it and add your sweetener to taste and carb it up.

Yes I am putting in fridge and I think I am going to add a gallon of apple juice and keg 5 gallons and bottle the rest.

I usually add somewhere around 3/4 can to a whole can per 5 gal keg, which results in a semi-dry cider. To get the same level of sweetness as popular commercial ciders like woodchuck or hornsbys I'm guessing you'd need more like 2 cans. I let the concentrate thaw completely, add to the keg, purge the O2, and then shake the keg for a minute to mix it in. I then take a sample, and add more if needed. You can always add more, but adding too much isn't an easy fix, so I'd try adding 1/2 can or less at a time until you get it where you like it. I much prefer the apple flavor it adds over using sugar or other sweeteners.

Thanks adding more apple flavor is what I want. It is going to be tough to wait for this to be done...

Latest posts

Back