First Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td9479

Reaction score
Going for my first try on a saison. Past 6 batches of other styles have been right on target. Going to use Wyeast 3711 French Saison. Main concern is fermentation. Going to put in shed which is averaging 86 degrees F over the last two weeks. Any tips on length of time in primary and should I transfer to a secondary? Should I start fermentation at a lower temp and then put in shed?Will probably brew this weekend. Thanks for the help.

I just made a Saison with 3711. I would pitch around 70 if possible and let it rise to 86 over the first day. I have heard of people letting this yeast get up to 90 degrees with good success....I would think 90 is pushing its's limit but it seems to work. I can say this about 3711.....I made a 1.060 Saison and it fermented down to 0.096 ......I have never had a beer yeast ferment so far. I skipped the secondary and let sit in primary for 3 weeks. The beer has had rave reviews over this weekend. I have been handing out bottles to see what the friends think. A couple people that always drink my beers said this is the best one yet. The yeast is killer.

Thanks for the tip. I will pitch around 70 and then put directly in shed. I'll let it go and hope for the best. If there is no reason to put in secondary then I will let it go in the primary. I will post results as they happen.

Back