Budget RIMS tube..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearwaterbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4500w element - free takeoff of neighbors water heater on curb
1" half coupling - $2 KLG Stainless
1" long ferrule - $2 KLG Stainless
1.5" short ferrule - $2 KLG Stainless
tube - free - is section of old handrail
cord is old jumper cords with rusted clamps that someone left at house..

Welding took about 20 minutes, I worked the 1" NPT coupling and heater element for about 20 minutes with lapping compound to get them to screw together enough for water heater element to seal.

Takes 10 gal water 62-170 in 35 minutes on 220.. should do about 1deg/min mash raise on 110.. it does about a 5-degree temp rise with March 809 pump and very little restriction and no head pressure.. reducing flow with output valve got easy 20 degree rise, but obviously lower flow...

It is pictured on my Boil Kettle now, Going to make adapters to hang on side of my 10 gallon igloo mash tun.. probably go to 3/8" or 1/2" stainless ball valve to limit max flow, keep some pressure on water near element, and keep from sucking mash into sticking

I just used a large electric soldering gun to solder ends, hammered flat, re-soldered, filed and drilled connectors.. Handed 23 amps just fine.. Need to insulate... make a little more OSHA approved ;-)

When finished, will hook up to 2 SSR's and use PID of my new BCS-462

IMG_0033.jpg

test setup

IMG_0034.jpg

closer pic

IMG_0035.jpg

soldered, hammered, filed and drilled connectors.. Handed 23 amps just fine.. Need to insulate...

It was a shower handrail, left over after a shower remodeling.. it def is stainless..

Top valve is 1" tri-clover ball valve, bottom is 1.5" tri-clover butterfly valve (ebay, $25 each I think..)..

thanks!

Back