Kegerator placement / venting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
Question that I haven't found much feedback on through some of the DIY threads - I've always thought that "burying" a commercial fridge (Sanyo 4912 in this case) in a kitchen island is a bad idea due to a lack of air circulation which would cause a compressor blow-out. Does anyone have any experience doing this? is venting required in such a setup? Are there keg-convertible fridges with the venting apparatus on the side or bottom front that aren't super-expensive commercial models?

A friend is gutting and renovating his kitchen as has been asking me lots of keg questions. He has access to an abandoned double draft tower and a 10 lb. CO2 tank so he wants to do a conversion instead of a purchase. Any info would be great.

If he's that concerned, he could cut small openings or vents into each cabinet on the sides of the fridge. Then air could dissapate into the cabinets instead of burning up the compressor.

Back