Adding maple and brown sugar ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty574

Reaction score
I am new to the site and a noob to home brewing I am brewing an extract oat meal stout and would like to add maple and brown sugar. My question is when and how much to add to a 5 gl. batch. From what I was told my my local home brew supplier the maple syrup is aprx. 65% ferment-able, also when do I add it. Thanx for any help on this...

Matty

Matty,
maple syrup and brown sugar are going to add two very different flavors to your beer. I would recommend using one or the other to begin with. Secondly, make sure the syrup is pure and not corn syrup with maple flavor and if using pure maple syrup I would add when you are finished boiling so that you don't lose the flavor in the boil. Stir in right after you turn the flame off. Are you brewing an extract batch? If so, the brown sugar will help dry the beer out some, depending on the amount you use. Finally, this is just the tip of the information iceberg that lies beneath the surface of brewing knowledge. If you are just beginning, start with one ingredient, keep accurate notes and modify the recipe as you continue in your brewing.
One last thought, if you want maple flavor and are not intent and getting any sugar gravity, you could just add maple extract to the beer prior to bottling. This may be a better way for you to achieve the flavor you want. Just add to taste.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

Brown sugar is basically partially refined sugar. Meaning that it still has some of it's molasses on it. Molasses being the byproduct when sugar is refined. The lighter the brown sugar, the less molasses. That being said; white sugar is pretty much completely fermentable. Molasses is not very fermentable. When adding brown sugar you are essentially adding alcohol and a small amount of molasses. So think of it in those terms when adding. However use it sparingly as molasses has a distinct minerality that can be overwhelming when too much is used.

What I've found in adding maple syrup is that the flavor ferments out pretty easily. So I wouldn't add it at the boil. The best results I've had are using the darkest maple syrup I could find and adding it in the secondary. It also works best with lower attenuating yeast.

Again thanx for all this. I will post when the brew is done and i am keeping notes and I love this hobby!

Latest posts

Back