Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like apfelwien just the way it is ( with the exception of the time that i used cote de blancs) but anyway has anyone tried using like 3-4 gallons of apple juice and the other 1-2 gals using some other fruit juice, i was thinking about trying this but didnt wanna ruin a batch

Oh no, what's wrong with using the Cote des Blancs yeast? I am attempting mine with that yeast now.

I just about 5 mins ago hooked up a naturally carbed keg of apfelwien on the gas, I wont have to leave it hoooked up since it is naturally carbed will i? and if i do what should i set the psi on?

It won't stay carbed if you don't have it hooked up. As you dispense it, the pressure will drop and without CO2 to replace the volume, it'll go flat.

if u like a very clean and dry taste use montrachet or a champagne style yeast. I'm thinking of maybe trying Eau De Vie yeast on it net time just to see how that works but i dunno... montrachet works great and is cheap!

I just about 5 mins ago hooked up a naturally carbed keg of apfelwien on the gas, I wont have to leave it hoooked up since it is naturally carbed will i? and if i do what should i set the psi on?

Dispense 12-15 PSI depending on your temp (lower for cooler).

I don't leave the gas hooked up to my kegs. I hit them with the gas at the end of the night to repressurize the head space. I know many homebrewers who do this. You have to remember to gas them up so they don't go flat though. :drunk:

I finally made my first batch of apfelwein last night. I used Motts juice I found at costco. I only had 4 5 oz bags of priming sugar so I added 2 cups of table sugar to make 2 lbs. Will table sugar have much effect on the finished product?

I finally made my first batch of apfelwein last night. I used Motts juice I found at costco. I only had 4 5 oz bags of priming sugar so I added 2 cups of table sugar to make 2 lbs. Will table sugar have much effect on the finished product?

Doubtful....I have a batch in the fermentor now where I use brown sugar instead of corn sugar.

Why do you guys like this recipe so much? I'm not seeing it. Fermented apple juice with some dextrose to boost the ABV :confused: Surely someone's come up with this before.

Weizenheimer -

I realize that it's not critical, but if your goal was to duplicate the amount of sugar in the original recipe, you are a little short.

My tests tell me that a heaping measuring (8 fluid ounce) cup of cane sugar equals, roughly, depending on the heap, one-half pound.

Pogo

Not That it needs it, but if you ever have Apfelwein on tap...right next to BierMunchers Cream of 3 crops...And you accidentally top off your beer with Apfelwein.....It's REALLLLLLLLYYYYY GOOD!

Going back a few posts.

Apple concentrate
Tree top. 12 oz makes 48 oz
= (6) - 8 oz servings so that’s 2 oz's a serving not reconstituted.
It has 26 grams sugar per serving.

Normal sugar
4.2 grams sugar per teaspoon
3.15 grams per 3/4 teaspoon

SO
to carb 11 bottles of cider (1 Gallon) with normal carb rate (3/4 teaspoon per bottle) I can use 3 (2.7) oz of treetop apple concentrate in one gallon of cider instead of the .15 cup of priming sugar.

Which explains why a 12 oz can of concentrate in 5 gallons is low on carbonation it should have 15 oz (13.5) of the Tree Top concentrate.

Yes/no/maybe? does that make sense?

(sorry for the math its the geek in me)

Edit to correct for math error. 13.5oz concentrate of Tree Top is closer to what you want than 15oz for 5 gallons. the error was I figured 12 12oz bottles and its closer to just under 11. 15oz will be fine but 13.5 oz will get you almost dead on to 5oz priming sugar for 5 gallons.

After trolling this thread for a while, I got a co-worker to go to Costco with me (as I don't have a membership) to get the apple juice to make this.

One thing I noticed was the Motts juice had ascorbic acid (a preservative, IIRC) so I went with the Kirkland brand whose ingredients said "apple juice". Here's to hoping it turns out.

Side note, a 5 gallon glass carboy filled is really friggin heavy. Glad I didn't drop it carrying it down to the basement.

After trolling this thread for a while, I got a co-worker to go to Costco with me (as I don't have a membership) to get the apple juice to make this.

One thing I noticed was the Motts juice had ascorbic acid (a preservative, IIRC) so I went with the Kirkland brand whose ingredients said "apple juice". Here's to hoping it turns out.

Side note, a 5 gallon glass carboy filled is really friggin heavy. Glad I didn't drop it carrying it down to the basement.

get better bottles!!! save your self the stitches.

Does Apfelwein clear from the bottom up? My first batch is almost 3 weeks in and the bottom half of the carboy is nice and clear.

One thing I noticed was the Motts juice had ascorbic acid (a preservative, IIRC)
That's fine. Ascorbic acid is vitamin C.

Does Apfelwein clear from the bottom up?
I'm on my first batch, but...
Mine's almost 4 weeks old. The top half inch or so cleared, then it all got cloudy again, and it's not showing any signs of wanting to clear. SG has been stuck at 1.002 for about 5 days.

Had a sample after 5 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in bottles. Its nice and fizzy. I'll be making more soon, and twice as much this time. I can brew 10 gallons of this for the same cost as 5 gallons of IPA...stupid hop prices.

I sampled the Apfelwein that I had on Oak last night. It's been in a 3 litre Oak barrel from 1000oaks.com.
I will be producing a 5 gallon batch, oaking it with chips, bottling it, and calling it wine not Apfelwein. Really, the oak has smoothed this back so much that it doesn't even resemble the original Apfelwein. It is good though.

I sampled the Apfelwein that I had on Oak last night. It's been in a 3 litre Oak barrel from 1000oaks.com.
I will be producing a 5 gallon batch, oaking it with chips, bottling it, and calling it wine not Apfelwein. Really, the oak has smoothed this back so much that it doesn't even resemble the original Apfelwein. It is good though.

Have you considered bumping the ABV% using concentrate or more sugar for the oaked version? I would think 9% ABV would be better with oak than the original 7% ABV version since you need a little more oomph to stand up to the oak.

BK: What toast level are you using in that barrel & how long has it been on the oak? Regards, GF.

BK: What toast level are you using in that barrel & how long has it been on the oak? Regards, GF.
What ever it comes with....and it was.....Maybe a month or 3? I will have to do some research.

I would think 9% ABV would be better with oak than the original 7% ABV version since you need a little more oomph to stand up to the oak.
(Havent, but definitely will)

Really....I'm thinking of Oaking about a 12 or 14% Cyser with just apple and honey and Oak.

After a couple month brewing hiatus, the bug bit me hard last night and I had to brew something. No time for an AG batch, so the answer was Apfelwein. Haven't brewed this since I've been kegging and can force carb and possibly backsweeten. Should be interesting when its done.

I went with 4.5g Juice, 2 Cans Concentrate, 1lb. Brown Sugar, and Safale S-04. I calculated I should get about 7.5% ABV out of it... Depending how sweet it turns (with this ale yeast) out I will not backsweeten and simply force carb to 15psi or so. If it needs some sweetening for my taste (the dry, uncarbed was OK the first time I made it, but it would take me a while to drink 5g) I will probably do more concentrate (after killing the yeast) and maybe just a touch of splenda...

Oh and this "oaking" apfelwein sounds interesting... I have some oakchips sitting around waiting for a use...

I'm not going to lie, I can't read this whole thread. I got to page 120 or so and quit. I have one quick question:

I am starting my first batch of this stuff after work today. Will this produce a yeast cake and if so can I re-use it for another batch? I inderstand the yeast is less than a dollar so it's no big deal if it can't be re-used but it would be nice if I didn't have to order some more.

I really want to try this recipe...but after our house deal fell through I am stuck in a small apt for the next six months and all my 5gal carboys are in storage.
I have all my 3gal. carboys here, can someone help with accurately shrinking this recipe? thanks

I really want to try this recipe...but after our house deal fell through I am stuck in a small apt for the next six months and all my 5gal carboys are in storage.
I have all my 3gal. carboys here, can someone help with accurately shrinking this recipe? thanks

you could make it really easy and just do a 2.5 gallon batch.

2.5 gallons juice
1 lb of corn sugar
1/2 a yeast packet

3 gallons of juice, 20 oz sugar (3 cups if you don't have a scale), and use the full pack of yeast.

Good to go!

I'm not going to lie, I can't read this whole thread. I got to page 120 or so and quit. I have one quick question:

I am starting my first batch of this stuff after work today. Will this produce a yeast cake and if so can I re-use it for another batch? I inderstand the yeast is less than a dollar so it's no big deal if it can't be re-used but it would be nice if I didn't have to order some more.

I think somewhere within the many pages people have talked about doing it. You should take good care of the yeast if you do so... and maybe make a starter out of juice. Just my thought... never repitched before.

I think somewhere within the many pages people have talked about doing it. You should take good care of the yeast if you do so... and maybe make a starter out of juice. Just my thought... never repitched before.

TMI!
Don't Confuse the N00bs!

Just make your Apfelwein like it says on page 1!
If you want to use the yeast cake, Follow same directions, just skip the yeast addition and put the juice and sugar into the same carboy you just racked out of.
There is a human tendency to try and complicate something that is this simple...Resist the urge! It really is that simple!
Done.

OK My first batch is a little over 3 months now and it finnaly is fully carbed (bottled not kegged) and i love it the way it is.... SWMBO on the other had isnt a big fan of the dryness so we were experimenting last night with artificial sweetener and after some trial and error she loved it.
I think on my next batch i will back sweeten 1/2 of it for her... my question is this if i were to do this prior to bottling are any of the ingredients in the sweetener fermentable? i dont want bottle bombs.
The packet of sweetener (generic store brand) has the following ingredients on the package

dextrose with maltodextrin 3.6%
calcium saccharin 36 mg per packet
cream of tartar
calcium silicate (an anti caking agent)

does anyone know if any of this is fermentable? I realize i can just add the sweetner after opening the bottle for her but it would just be easier to have it all ready the way she likes it right out of the bottle.
any help appreciated
Tom

I don't know how good the saccharin based sweetener would taste (I don't like it myself, I use Splenda) but it should be fine to use to sweeten. Easier than stabilizing and using sugar by far.

At my party last weekend about a gallon of apfelwein disappeared, and it was so popular I had guests asking for a key to the house to get to the kegerator. :drunk: :D

The Tree Top that I use is juice. It's a whopping $3.17 per gallon and the ingredients are concentrate and water. No other chemicals listed. I've had great success. For some reason it starts out dark looking, but when it clears - it looks a gorgeous blonde.

And speaking of which...

I started three batches last night.

1. EC1118 w/ 2# Turbinado
2. EC1118 w 2# Dextrose
3. Priemier Cuvee w/ 2# Dextrose

All three are bubbling away like champs. The turbinado has a nice faomy head on it...

Cheers, Michael

recipe calls for using 100% juice, not concentrate.

Juice from concentrate can still be called 100% juice as long as it has no other additives. I am just asking if the tree top brand that Ed uses says from concentrate or not. I am guessing it is, as most mass produced juice is from concentrate, but I wanted to make sure.

Juice from concentrate can still be called 100% juice as long as it has no other additives. I am just asking if the tree top brand that Ed uses says from concentrate or not. I am guessing it is, as most mass produced juice is from concentrate, but I wanted to make sure.

Tree Top is not avaliable in my area so I used Motts Apple juice check and see if they have that...... Good Luck

From what I've seen, all juices say "from concentrate" or "not from concentrate" right on the front of the label. I just looked through all the juices and picked ones that said "not" that didn't have preservatives on the ingredient list.

Back