BREWER'S EDGE® SPACE HEATER? Anyboby use it? any reviews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josiahcox

Reaction score
So I have ordered the TSS2 Love controller and now I am trying to decide how to heat my under the workbench fermentor I built. I have heard of light bulbs, space heaters, ceramic bulbs, aquerium heaters.

I found this on Williams Brewing site . Has anyone used this unit?

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_SPACE_HEATER_P518C100.cfm

The space I am using can hold 4 6 gal fermentors. It is outside in my brewhouse and it can get pretty cold out during the winter here. Does anyone have any use with this or opinions that may be useful? It looks like it could work perfect and be much cleaner looking than the other options.
Thanks.

I use something similar in my fermentation fridge. I use one of these:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...ure-control/electric-fermentation-heater.html

Your supposed to wrap it around the carboy (it's basically the same thing I believe), but I simply tywrapped it to the back of my fridge with a small 110v computer style fan to circulate. Use my temp controller to run both. It's works actually very well, as it makes the fridge into a giant thermos. Now, this is in my basement where the temp is about 60 and it takes it up into the 70's quite easily....not sure about what it would be able to do in an out-building with no heat though..... The web-site says down to 42 degrees, I'm not sure where Bellingham is but that's pretty balmy around here sometimes.......

I was going to buy one of those but I just got a heating pad instead and never looked back.

We can get down into the 20's on the cold nights but usually it's around the low 40's to 30's at night in the winter. I am like 20 minutes to the border so we are about as north as it gets.The Ferm cabinet is insulated with inch and a half foam on all sides so I think it should hold the temp okay.
The heating pad idea is the main other device I am thinking of but I do like the fact that the brewers edge one is vinyl. I'm thinking it would be easier clean up if there ever was an beersplosion inside.
Thanks guys.
Anyone out there use this actual unit?

So I have ordered the TSS2 Love controller and now I am trying to decide how to heat my under the workbench fermentor I built. I have heard of light bulbs, space heaters, ceramic bulbs, aquerium heaters.

I found this on Williams Brewing site . Has anyone used this unit?

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_SPACE_HEATER_P518C100.cfm

The space I am using can hold 4 6 gal fermentors. It is outside in my brewhouse and it can get pretty cold out during the winter here. Does anyone have any use with this or opinions that may be useful? It looks like it could work perfect and be much cleaner looking than the other options.
Thanks.

I have two of these heaters in my fermenter and they work great. They are both connected to one electronic thermostat. The temp stays +/- 1 or 2 degrees F.

fermentheat.jpg

I have one. Works pretty much to specifications. If your unit is too big, or it gets too cold outside you'll need to double up, or (as I did) add a light bulb.

I use the FermWrap heater. I just hang it from the thermostat control, and it works great. The nice thing about the FermWrap is it's really long (like two of the one's from Brewer's Edge). I cut mine in half and wired up the loose end. Now I have two for the price of one, which works out nice because I have two dedicated fermentation fridges.

Anyway you go, these things really work well for those concerned with precise temperature control.

I have one. Works pretty much to specifications. If your unit is too big, or it gets too cold outside you'll need to double up, or (as I did) add a light bulb.

Just re-read their page on this heater. They claim:

is powerful enough to keep a small enclosed insulated area (25 cubic feet or less) 20° warmer than the surrounding air. This means you can, with the heater plugged into the Controller II, precisely heat a closed refrigerator, freezer, or other small insulated area. Even if your refrigerator is in an unheated garage that gets down to 42°F. during the winter, you can still brew an ale that requires a 60° - 65° fermentation temperature

My home-made chamber is about 25 cu feet, and is in my unheated garage. Recently, it got cold enough to freeze my 5 gallon bucket of starsan sitting next to my chamber. But this heater kept my chamber at about 62*F. So it was able to actually do better then advertised in my unit. However, I wanted to get it a bit warmer in there, so I added a 100 watt light bulb. Now I can easily maintain 72*F.

My fermentation box is indoors so I usually don't need to heat it (not connected to a controller), but when I want to bump up the temp I found that a heating pad works pretty well. I just draped it half way around the bucket and turned it on to "Medium". This raised 5 gallons a degree or two in about an hour. Seemed like a better solution to me than light bulbs.

Mine has not had a chance to be used yet due to a change in plans on my fermentation chamber. :(
I'm just glad the weather here has been fairly warm.

I was going to buy one of those but I just got a heating pad instead and never looked back.

I'm finally addressing fermentation temp control and feel compelled to weigh in. I bought an inkbird thermostat. Seems great - simple and does what it claims to do. The heat source though...

Two submersible aquarium heaters and a brew belt later, the one thing that works like a charm is my wife's heating pad. Kid's elastic belt holding it to the fermenter – plug it into the thermo-control. Done. It has been by far the most simple and reliable.

The original unit looks to be identical to typical seed germination mats. I use these without issue, and they come in a range of sizes and powers, mostly for less cash than the unit in the OP.

I have a couple of them that I use in 2 freezers with inkbird controllers they work excellent. Temperature maintains within a degree.

Back