racking 5 gal into a 5 gal (not 6.5) secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
So i have two brews planned i would like to do about a week or 2 apart and only have one 6.5 gal carboy. However I have access to a 5 gal (old glass water cooler carboy) that i could use as a secondary. My question is do you think that racking to a secondary will little head space (assuming filled up to the neck with an inch or two till the very top) would work? I know yeast will foam but how much will it foam from after 2 weeks in the primary? what are your thoughts

Eric

Not only will it work, but is recommended. You want as little headspace as possible when bulk aging/using a clearing tank. I have an RIS that has about 3/4" from the top of the brew to the bottom of the stopper on the airlock. It's been in there for about 2 months now.

A 5 gal carboy is all I have ever used for secondary vessel, never a problem. By the time you leave behind the trub and a bit of liquid on top of the trub you will have a wee bit of space left in your 5 gal.

That is my regular method-
one 6 gallon primary, racked into one of two 5 gallon secondarys.
When, I'm "heavily" brewing, I can have up to three batches going at once.
Usually it is only two though...time constraints.

Back