Does the Hurricane burner need a reg with NG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
I'm going to use Hurricane burners in my brew rig and was looking at them at Northern Brewer. They will be run on natural gas so I'll have to get the NG valves. Do I need the regulator and hose assembly as well? I wouldn't think so as NG is very low pressure in the house anyway.

Mike

If you need some detachability Tejas smokers offers a nice indoor rated convienience outlet and quick disconnects for NG.

There are two types of Hurricane burners, one for Natural Gas and one for Propane. Make sure you get the one for Natural Gas otherwise you will be drilling out the orfices.

There are two types of Hurricane burners, one for Natural Gas and one for Propane. Make sure you get the one for Natural Gas otherwise you will be drilling out the orfices.

Or, you could get one burner and two orifices and have both! NG at home, propane for portability.

I just bought a Hurricane this last weekend and used it once on propane so far. I bought the natural gas orifice and will be hooking it up in the next month or so. I have to say it was really powerful compared to what I was using before. Does it have similar power after converting to natural gas?

Not being very familiar with the Hurricane Burner, can you swap orfices on a Hurricane burner to go from Natural Gas to Propane or vice-versa?

Yes, the combo orifice/valve screws in, takes a minute to do so. As long as you have the low pressure propane regulator you are good to go.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same on NG and propane. I ran a test at one point and it took about 20 minutes for 5 gallons of water in each case.

Back