Cheap non-food-grade hot liquid pump options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfsp

Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap hot liquid pump that would not need to be food-grade or food safe. The idea is to use this pump to circulate hot water in my wort chiller in the mash tun to allow me some control on the temperature of the mash without using a direct electrical element in the MLT. This way, I'd have a greater surface area contact to the hot copper coil and I wouldn't be afraid of scorching the mash.

If car radiator pumps weren't belt driven, the scrap yard would be my first destination. I wouldn't put more then 50$ on this project, so forget the new Marsh pumps.

Any idea where / what I should look for ?

You could investigate the Harbor Freight 12V utility pumps, two models under/at $50. They are direct drive and the pump housing is brass, although the impeller is no doubt plastic so I don't know for sure what the temp rating might be.

You could investigate the Harbor Freight 12V utility pumps, two models under/at $50. They are direct drive and the pump housing is brass, although the impeller is no doubt plastic so I don't know for sure what the temp rating might be.

The price is right, but I'm having doubts it could handle the 170°F max temperature i'd like to circulate in it. The pump you linked to didn't give any operating range, but I found a similar product (Pony pump, but not on LG website) that was rated to 140°F

How about this metal drill pump ?

No specifications of course, but this might be my cheapest option for now. Metal housing means i don't have to be afraid of the enclosure melting down, but I have no idea what the impeller is made of. My only fear would be to burn my DeWalt drill after 1 hour of continuous usage.

the temperature rating on magnetic drive pumps espeically, and also direct drive pumps to a lesser extent, exists because the magnets in them lose their power over a certain temperature. a pump rated for 140*F wont melt at 160*, but the temperature will decrese the power of the motor eventually to the point where it will no longer turn.

a drill pump, which has no internal magnets, will withstand any temperature up to the point where the actual materials start to degrade.

Latest posts

Back