Using Kolsch yeast in a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
Just wanted some quick opinions on using a vile of WLP029 in a Robust Porter. My thoughts are it has a lot of the same qualities as 001 CalAle, probably a little less hop emphasis. I made an American Amber Ale a little while back using this yeast and it was great. My worries are that White Labs says it's more suited for Light and Honey Ales. Worse come to worse is that if it has more of that Kolsch/ Alt character I can call it a "Black Kolsch" or "Dark German Ale". Just thinking it may be worth a shot to see what the results would be.

It's a great yeast. I just kegged a blonde tonight I fermented with this yeast and it tastes almost lager-like.

I would use it for about anything you want a clean flavor profile in. Robust porter is sometimes brewed commercially as a lager, so I think this yeast is a good choice. The key to a clean ferment with this strain is to pitch plenty of yeast (2L starter) and ferment around 62*F. At such a low temp it will produce some sulfur smells during fermentation so don't be alarmed.

Great...that makes me feel better about doing it. This will actually be the fourth time I've used it and I know what you're saying about the sulfur. I actually have an Octoberfest, or should I say Mock-toberfest, I just bottled that I used this yeast on and I'm cracking on Thanksgiving. Brewed it at around 63 degrees. Took a sample when bottling and I'm amazed at how lager-like it is.

Back