Anyone have a Belgian Blond recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Search netted nothing definative for this one. The Affligem Blond that I tried Friday is what I would like to shoot for. I brew extract, so I'm thinking pils extract, with some light colored specialty grains. I've always brewed american style beers, so I have no experience with aromatic, special B, etc. Looks like the hops should be styrian goldings, saaz, or tettnanger? I'm hearing good things about the Abbey II yeast, so I'll use that. I realize that extract brewing won't get me the correct color, but I've been making some pretty light extract brews lately.

I just don't have my foot in the door yet for this style, so if anyone has had any success and could hold my hand and walk me through it, I'd appreciate it.

Here's a good recipe from the database:

Sause's Belgian Blonde

the vienna will add a bit of maltiness, the carapils will give you mouthfeel, other than that it will be nice and light, letting yeast add the flavors.

i don't think you'd want any special b in a blonde. too much color, too heavy a flavor. aromatic would add some heavy maltiness, might be ok in small amounts, but i would just use vienna or munich.

here, i converted it to a 5.5 gallon extract version.

steep the grains in 1 gallon of water @ 155°F for 30 minutes to do your partial mash. then just remove grains, add more water and do your regular extract method.

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

18-A Belgian Strong Ale, Belgian Blond Ale

Min OG: 1.062 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.50
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.12
Anticipated SRM: 7.6
Anticipated IBU: 26.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.056 SG 13.81 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.4 6.50 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
10.5 1.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
10.5 1.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
10.5 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 19.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.6 10 min.
1.00 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 3.3 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale

Hello... I have a quick question with this recipe. I've decided to use this, and I already have all the ingredients.

My question is; If I'm partial mashing, do I add the hops right as I begin the boiling process (ie at the very beginning), or am I going to wait until I add the malt extract to start adding hops.

Is my total boil time then 90min?

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

You want to add your extract first or modify the recipe to account for a higher utilization of hops (this recipe assumes a full boil with the concentration of all the wort, including extract.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Turned out great. I used some different, but similar hops. It's a nice subtle Belgian beer that is finished just in time for spring. Everyone loved it... my second and best brew by far. The first one was awful.

downsize3c.jpg

Back