Decoction vs. Infusion Mash with Wheat Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I am planning on doing an AG dunkelweizen soon. I have only one AG under my belt and it was a APA. I have read, as in Ray Daniels' book Designing Great Beers, that most hefeweizens are produced commercially and by many homebrewers by decoction mashing. I do not feel comfortable yet pulling a decoction. I plan on just doing a single infusion with this weißbier. How many of you guys use this method with wheat and what is it mainly that suffers from cutting corners? I guess I don't see the advantage of decoction mashing (even after watching Kaiser's great video on the process! haha)

I really like the flavor that a decoction mash gives to my beers. I just don't think it is worth the extra time. I do highly recommend that you try it at least once. Just make sure you have plenty of time.

I have read studies that indicate that there is not a significant enough flavor benefit from decoction for brewing Hefeweizens. I'll have to do a side-by side to see for myself though.

Kai

I've ready the same. Also, the protein rest also helps with head retention and body, while the traditional two sacc rests help prevent the beer from getting too thin. A three step infusion mash gets a bit out of hand because of all the water you need to add, so a decoction is a much better way to raise the temperature if you do not have a direct-fired mash tun.

TL

i say single infusion if you're not up to a decoction. i did a decoction on a wheat beer before and i can't say it helped the beer much and took a looong time.

Back