Sierra Nevada Celebration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is the consensus?

Does anyone else think this stuff is a bit harsh this year?

Last year was the same way--the next batches that I got were considerably better.

I haven't bought my requisite stock for this year, but if I'm not mistaken I still have one from last year.

Last year was the same way--the next batches that I got were considerably better.

I think that it's always had a sharp bitterness from the Chinook, I think that it just varies a bit from year to year. I've found that it mellows over time the same way my HB with Chinook does.

I've always loved this beer though...

I think I already posted about the 12 Pak of Celebration I got in '05 I think it was.
It was nasty, harsh to the point of almost a turpentine quality. It was Chrismas Eve and my daughter said she would give it to the homeboys that hang out by the dumpsters where she lives.
The next day she was leaving the apartment complex in her car and as she pulled out the driveway there was a bunch of the homies hanging out there, she waved and they all started shouting at her and flipped her the finger.
I guess they didn't like the beer either.
AP

I don't find it harsh at all. Very smooth! Not real hoppy, not much bitterness, either. Just a good balanced beer.

Maybe you have a bad batch? I have had that happen to me before...

So i picked up my case last night on the way home. Had one with SWMBO (it was a little warm from it not being stored in cooler at liquour store and me just taking it home.) Wasn't bad, pretty hoppy. I through the rest of that 6'er in the keezer to cool. Had another round with SWMBO later last night after dinner. Better after beeing cooled to 47-50 degrees.
I have to say i don't see the HUGE fuss and wouldn't pay $40 for another case. It tasted like a good IPA, but didn't stand out necessarily from any other hig hop IPA I had while traveling the country. Am I drinking it wrong! haha

*edit*
I'd like to amend my previous review
After giving it a night to sit and come to temp and "relax" I guess we are drinking the last 2 from the first 6 pack. I got the head everyone was talking about, lifted my glass for a smell and *SMACK!* right in the face. Like opening a airtight sealed package of hops on brew day! I'm am excited that I get this smell every drink for a whole other case worth of beers! I am actually tasting the malt a little this glass. Don't know if it's worth the $40/case price tag other than it's limited availability. I'll probably buy another case next year when it comes out.

I just tried this and would buy it again, although I'm also busy trying lots of other stuff too.

I don't have any taste notes, but I do remember that I nodded my head in appreciation and thought that it was similar in basic design to their beer.

I must say that this Years batch was yummy.
All of this years seasonal brews I've tried were great.

The Anderson Valley Winter Solstice was really nice.
Kind of a burnt vanilla flavor to it. Something I find very tasty.

Ok...

Definite pine aroma in the nose. Some orange citrus in there as well. Clear amber with a big off white head. Malty, piney, a little toast. Bitter, dry, but balanced. I really enjoy it. I don't think it's harsh at all. Very nice. I should stock up om more since I can.

I have not had last years but, I am going to let some of this sit and see if it mellows some. Dont get me wrong I can drink it as is, but want to see if that edge disappears from it.

I just tried this for the first time last night and I think it's my new favorite beer. Being near Cleveland, I drink a lot of Great Lakes Christmas Ale around the holidays. I saw this at the store last night and decided to try something new.

I love the hoppy aroma and taste. Earlier in the thread, others said this is basically an American IPA. I had no idea this is what American IPA tasted like. I've had other IPAs that I thought were gross. By gross, I mean over-the-top bitter. I thought all IPAs were like that. I stand corrected. This stuff is amazing!

I was thinking about this the other day:

How many non beer snobs or non-knowing beer purchasers see SNCA in the store and think, "Oh cool, a nice spiced Christmas Ale....I'll pickup a 12 pack for our guests while they are here for Christmas." and then...that lucky Coors drinker finds the SNCA in the fridge or cooler, takes one swig and thinks it is horrible...and those poor eleven other celebration ales never get drank because it is too bitter?

Deep Thoughts...brought to you by Dude on x-mas eve 2008.

I was thinking about this the other day:

How many non beer snobs or non-knowing beer purchasers see SNCA in the store and think, "Oh cool, a nice spiced Christmas Ale....I'll pickup a 12 pack for our guests while they are here for Christmas." and then...that lucky Coors drinker finds the SNCA in the fridge or cooler, takes one swig and thinks it is horrible...and those poor eleven other celebration ales never get drank because it is too bitter?

Deep Thoughts...brought to you by Dude on x-mas eve 2008.
My non-beer snob neighbor did just that last year. Good thing I was there to save those soldiers. He told me the other day he won't be buying that "crap in the short stubby bottle" for our Christmas day gathering this year.

I walked across the street and popped him in the nose.

Back