culinary adventures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The human mind (mine in particular) is really an odd device. I'm not a very good shot, but if I were to go hunting I know I could tell my finger to pull the trigger. Beheading a chicken? Forget it. Too up close and personal. Butcher the chicken? No problem! Fun even!

And I can dispatch a fish to the great beyond without a second thought other than "mmmm this fish will be delicious."

Speaking of which... can you/would you make sushi out of walleye on the boat? What could be fresher?

Edit: Maybe this is liberal hippie dippy stuff (maybe I have said it before here) but I have a strict rule that I will not be a part of killing any mammal or sea creature if I am not planning on eating it. The only exception to this rule is mice and rats that are pests in the house, and even then I feel like I owe it to the poor critter to do the dispatching myself. Antiseptic killing makes men into monsters... /rant over.

The human mind (mine in particular) is really an odd device. I'm not a very good shot, but if I were to go hunting I know I could tell my finger to pull the trigger. Beheading a chicken? Forget it. Too up close and personal. Butcher the chicken? No problem! Fun even!

And I can dispatch a fish to the great beyond without a second thought other than "mmmm this fish will be delicious."

Speaking of which... can you/would you make sushi out of walleye on the boat? What could be fresher?

Edit: Maybe this is liberal hippie dippy stuff (maybe I have said it before here) but I have a strict rule that I will not be a part of killing any mammal or sea creature if I am not planning on eating it. The only exception to this rule is mice and rats that are pests in the house, and even then I feel like I owe it to the poor critter to do the dispatching myself. Antiseptic killing makes men into monsters... /rant over.

Being raised the way I was and where I'm living now, dispatching/hunting creatures has been pretty much my whole life. I will not kill what I will not eat and I try to utilize the entire animal as much as possible.

My Wife jokes that when I look at an animal, fowl or fish, I am picturing the dotted lines that show me how to separate it into its best, choicest cuts!

I've often said that I'd be a great guy to bring on a hunting trip. I'll sleep in and have lunch ready when you get to the cabin, and then Ill tie on an apron and get the butcher's table ready. Once the animal is dead, it is now "meat." If it was snowing, however, I would be drinking scotch the whole time (nothing keeps out the cold like cold scotch). Keep my glass full and tell me the story of how you got him and I'll break down the sumbitch for you.

My only problem with taxidermy, btw, is that some animals are preserved without the majority of their bodies butchered and eaten. I'd prefer one make venison head-cheese than mount the head on the wall. Horns, however, I couldnt care less. Not being preachy, just a "how things would be if I had my druthers".

Utilizing the whole animal reminds me... if one were to cure fish entrails (other than eggs, which I like to deepfry! :-D) in salt, would it make good bait?

Can Walleye be eaten raw? Would one want to do so?

Many artificial soft bait makers add salt to their baits (I'm do for some of my baits)

I don't see why walleye couldn't be eaten raw as long as it is clean and healthy at the time of processing and yes, I would be willing to try it.

My first taste of raw fish was a still wriggling Bonito that a Samoan friend of mine convinced me to taste, by eating some of it himself, first.

Thats some fresh fish right there! :). My first taste of raw fish was a california roll at a shopping mall at age 13. Hehe.

I was thinking we'd catch a walleye, have sashimi on the boat, and throw the entrails in a ziplock bag full of salt for the next outing... sound like a good plan? (Obviously the bones and head go in the stock pot for fish chowder...)

I think it'd be worth a try. I haven't had walleye since visiting my Dad in Michigan last May.

Damn right, Its lunchtime here and I have a swordfish steak to eat! (unfortunately, previously frozen not fresh)

On my honeymoon in Thailand I tried durian. I bought it from a road side stand in Phuket and brought it into our taxi. Within seconds I was sticking it out the window until we got where we were going. It had the consistency of rotten mushy bananas and tasted horrible. I was about to toss it when our taxi driver took it from me and took it home to his kids.

In Dubai I had camel nachos at the fairmont hotel. When diced up and on nachos it tasted just like beef.

Camel is definitely an animal I could eat without a twinge of guilt. I am intrigued.

I recently bought a can of jackfruit in light syrup. First, I chortled at the words jack and fruit, and then I got a fork. It was ok. I dont know what I can do with it other than nosh out of the can on a fork though....

My pastry chef friend suggested a sauce, but he didnt seem to excited about the idea.

kangaroo is another one, he have a few aussies here in HBT I bet they can chime in, of course is not very exotic to eat kangaroo if you are australian.
Does people around texas eat armadillos? I got the admit is one of the best meats I had.

kangaroo is another one, he have a few aussies here in HBT I bet they can chime in, of course is not very exotic to eat kangaroo if you are australian.
Does people around texas eat armadillos? I got the admit is one of the best meats I had.

*high5* kangaroo is epic. I got shipped off to australia when i was 12-13 for the better portion of a year. Kangaroo patties are one of my favourite memories of that trip.

I've never had armadillo, but I can't imagine it'd be good. It looks greasy and dirty. I think maybe I've seen it done on Bordain in Uruguay or something like that. I'm wanting to say it did not leave a good impression.

You can certainly have seen it in Uruguay they make it a lot there and also in Argentina where I´m originally from. Looks a lot worst that what it taste like.

I'm told that in parts of China "mountain rat" commands a higher price than pork or poultry. I am intrigued.

I´ll probably go to China next year and I know I´ll have weird things to eat there...snake blood mmm yummy ¿will they make bood sausages with snake blood?

When I was last down in Texas, a friend referred to armadillos as 'moving speed bumps'.

yeah, they make a helluva racket when they hit the underside of your car though...AND they'll still usually get up and walk away from it.

When I was last down in Texas, a friend referred to armadillos as 'moving speed bumps'.

MMMM charcoal grilled road kill I doesn´t gets any more redneck than that doesn´t it?:D

Not very exotic but I enjoy haggis a lot I dont understand why people think it´s disgusting:
haggis.jpg

You can certainly have seen it in Uruguay they make it a lot there and also in Argentina where I´m originally from. Looks a lot worst that what it taste like.

You're Argentinian? You guys know how to have a freaking cookout! My friend has a book about Asado - best 'recipe' calls for two cords of dry wood and a 1200 - 1400 lb steer. It just so happens I have access to both those things, so I guess I just need to weld up a big scary cow crucifix!

You're Argentinian? You guys know how to have a freaking cookout! My friend has a book about Asado - best 'recipe' calls for two cords of dry wood and a 1200 - 1400 lb steer. It just so happens I have access to both those things, so I guess I just need to weld up a big scary cow crucifix!

Hehehe a few years ago I spend three months in Florida with some family, I meet a lot of argentinians that were living near the everglades and we made "cordero a la cruz" a crucified lamb, a neighbour called the police cause he tougth that we were a part of some satanic sect

Hehehe a few years ago I spend three months in Florida with some family, I meet a lot of argentinians that were living near the everglades and we made "cordero a la cruz" a crucified lamb, a neighbour called the police cause he tougth that we were a part of some satanic sect

Highlight of my morning so far - I'll be sharing this one at our Xmas party today! :mug:

I would like to mention that neither animal sacrifice nor being a part of a satanic sect is illegal. Sounds like the neighbors werent just busybodys but also morons. Not sure why the cop would even show up...

I would like to mention that neither animal sacrifice nor being a part of a satanic sect is illegal. Sounds like the neighbors werent just busybodys but also morons. Not sure why the cop would even show up...

Yeah the police knew my friends and far as I know they came about the fire we ligth , they just mention the calls from the neighbours mentioning the satanic cult -I actually think one of them chuckled- I didn´t speak any english at that time so this is just a translation from my friends...

Someone mentioned stewed jellyfish. I've never had it stewed but I have had it lightly cooked with chilis and sesame oil and I have had it lightly cooked in a mild scallion sauce and enjoyed them both. SWMBO mistook them for noodles at first.

I would imagine that stewed they would turn into a puddle of gelatin... not as appetizing.

I was camping at a bluegrass festival with friends and someone made up a big pot of something. Grabbed me a plate, enjoyed it, it was dark outside and I couldn't really see what I was eating. Found out after I finished my plate it was chicken feet and rice.

I found it very disturbing because one of my biggest fears was bird feet, not afraid of the birds, just their feet. Stems back to childhood, on grandmother's farm and her attack roosters, getting clawed in the back trying to run past them. But actually, now that I've eaten it, I'm not really afraid of bird feet anymore. After killing a chicken, I no longer feel the need to immediately cringe and get the feet cut off, get them out of sight. Now I can just leave them in the pile with the rest of the scraps and clean it up all at once.

Latest posts

Back