Question on dry hoping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtus72

Reaction score
Hey guys, I added my dry hops to my ferocious ipa kit on saturday its now monday I thought I would let them go till friday then cold crash in my kegerator friday evening saturday and then keg on sunday does this sound like im on the right track

Hey guys, I added my dry hops to my ferocious ipa kit on saturday its now monday I thought I would let them go till friday then cold crash in my kegerator friday evening saturday and then keg on sunday does this sound like im on the right track

That seems about right. I normally like to dryhop for 5 days but you could go 7 days with just about the same results!

I typically don't go any further than a week in dry hops. Usually once they sink you are GTG. Cold crashing will for sure help them settle out. The reason I only go about 6-7 days on them is because they will impart some grassy taste if left too long. How long? I'm not sure, but I have had great results with aroma in as little as 4 days. I think you are on the right track.

brewtus72 said:

A lot of people like 5-7 days and others like 7-14.

I would take a taste at a week and see where it's at,if you're happy package it, otherwise go longer.

Just be sure to package when ready as you want the hops to be fresh. IPAs will lose some aroma and flavor at around the 3 month mark IME

Yea it was in primary for 8 days. OG was 1.068 when I transfered it was 1.020 which I think is around 6.2% it was suppose to be 1.018 but I figured it would finish out in secondary. do you think 8 days primary and 7 dry hop is to quick? Should I have waited a little longer? It tasted like flat hoppy beer when I transfered so im hoping everything im doing is ok. This is only my second brew btw.

Yea it was in primary for 8 days. OG was 1.068 when I transfered it was 1.020 which I think is around 6.2% it was suppose to be 1.018 but I figured it would finish out in secondary. do you think 8 days primary and 7 dry hop is to quick? Should I have waited a little longer? It tasted like flat hoppy beer when I transfered so im hoping everything im doing is ok. This is only my second brew btw.

You don't want to dryhop until about a week before packaging, so maybe dryhopping before you reached a FG was not the best course of action.

Next time, wait until the beer is finished, and clear. Usually about day 10-14. THEN dryhop, and package 5-7 days after that.

Hello guys I have a question about dry hopping and this seemed like a good place.
I dry hooped for 4 weeks due to a bad illness and the a random hurricane taking over my life for a few weeks. Is this a horrible situation or not? the beer smelled good and tasted okay as I was bottling. Should I expect a nasty surprise?
Thanks
GAvin

i went 7 days in primary and than i dry hopped for 7 days (2 weeks in primary) and it tasted GREAT while bottling. just from what i've read, i wouldn't go too many more than 7 days.

You don't want to dryhop until about a week before packaging, so maybe dryhopping before you reached a FG was not the best course of action.

Next time, wait until the beer is finished, and clear. Usually about day 10-14. THEN dryhop, and package 5-7 days after that.

not to doubt your extensive knowledge, but I heard that you should start dry hopping when you're roughly 90% to your FG. Especially if you're using a secondary. Reason I heard was that being at 90% will allow the last leg of fermentation to eat up the O2 that came in from transferring to a second vessel.

not to doubt your extensive knowledge, but I heard that you should start dry hopping when you're roughly 90% to your FG. Especially if you're using a secondary. Reason I heard was that being at 90% will allow the last leg of fermentation to eat up the O2 that came in from transferring to a second vessel.

The whole purpose for dry hopping is to capture the aroma/flavor in the beer. Otherwise the aroma is pushed right out the airlock if it's still bubbling.

Always wait until the beer is done before dry hopping IMO.

The whole purpose for dry hopping is to capture the aroma/flavor in the beer. Otherwise the aroma is pushed right out the airlock if it's still bubbling.

Always wait until the beer is done before dry hopping IMO.

But IMO you hardly see bubbling at 90%, Like I said, It's something I heard. I believe it was on an old brewstrong episode and that's the way Firestone Walker Brew Co and Tasty McDole does.

Latest posts

Back