Texas Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are my 2 cascades from last year. I live in North Dallas, Richardson last year, now plano. I have 3 crown's on the way from Great Lake Hops to get a full garden going. I'm hoping to get my trelis put up this weekend as one of these guys is almost ready to start climbing. The smaller one actually looks healthier with thicker shoots, we'll see how they do.

WP_20130416_001.jpg

WP_20130416_002.jpg

One of my nugget plants already has burrs. Not many but a few. Living down south has it perks.

First time grower. I planted Northern, Centennial, and Nugget in a pot. The Northern failed to sprout but the other two are growing gangbusters - 12' but now cones as of yet. I am in Houston - when should I expect the cones to start showing?

First time grower. I planted Northern, Centennial, and Nugget in a pot. The Northern failed to sprout but the other two are growing gangbusters - 12' but now cones as of yet. I am in Houston - when should I expect the cones to start showing?

Hi

I grew hops in Houston last year. have since moved to the DC area. I started seeing cones from round about now. If you want you can check out my blog (hopstarter.blogspot.com). All the entries from last year are in Houston.

Hope this helps.

Hey Ed, I just bought a place outside of Bastrop and would like to try growing a few hops. What is the best kind to plant for the area snd can I put them in this time of year? Who do you get your rhizomes(sp?) from. Thx, royce

I am actually giving up on my plants. They are all crowns from great lakes hops except for one rhizome from somewhere online. They grow each year, some even reach up to the top of my 20 foot setup, but the heat here in north Dallas just kills them and my yield is essentially nothing. The small crop I got this year had a ton of caterpillars hatch out of them so I had to throw them away. If anyone wants some crowns they are still in the jack daniels barrels I planted them in, haven't really watered them over the winter but its been fairly wet, so I'm sure they are still viable.

Hmmm, interested too. PM sent for if there is anything left after jbata2 and Aerolite's claims.

Back