The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOO! I love mid-week soccer! (all times Pacific Daylight Time)

Philadelphia Union vs Red Bull New York - 4:00pm ESPN2
Columbus Crew vs Sporting Kansas City - 4:30pm MLS Live
Toronto FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps - 5:00pm MLS Live
LA Galaxy vs New England Revolution - 7:30pm MLS Live

In this time of desperation I'm watching this NY/Philly match. Nothing else on. I must say the advertising spewed all over the jerseys is ridiculous. Looks like a clown show. Do they do that in Europe? I mean there's advertising all over the field. Do the unis need to have them? Can't even make out the team name for these teams. Unless of course it's the Philadelphia Bimbos.

Do they do that in Europe? I mean there's advertising all over the field. Do the unis need to have them? Can't even make out the team name for these teams. Unless of course it's the Philadelphia Bimbos.

Yes they do. Yes indeed there is. Need, maybe not, but with no stoppages for commercials, other revenue sources are at a premium. Team names aren't very common on soccer jerseys. At least not big outside of perhaps on a crest. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I'm amazed people buy jerseys that are essentially shirts with an ad for Mexican bread or a Middle Eastern airline. When you have to repeatedly explain which team exactly it is you like, maybe the shirt has failed in its task. Not that it's much nobler to spend $100 to express your affection for the billionaire who needed public funding to build a stadium where low-income housing once stood.

I'm amazed people buy jerseys that are essentially shirts with an ad for Mexican bread or a Middle Eastern airline. When you have to repeatedly explain which team exactly it is you like, maybe the shirt has failed in its task. Not that it's much nobler to spend $100 to express your affection for the billionaire who needed public funding to build a stadium where low-income housing once stood.

It's just tradition to have the small crest instead of a huge splattering of cartoony logos a la NHL. The jersey sponsors are a huge solution with there being no commercials. Plus, if you're really a fan of the team or of the league you'll know who is who. Everybody has their own trademark and style.

Jeez this place can get kind of slow when EPL isn't going!

Essentially every USMNT player and snub have been great since MLS got rolling again. Nine Yanks got voted to the All-Star roster. Vegas is having actual talks with the league. With Kaka already secured, Orlando are now looking at Robinho.

Discuss.

And today there's more talk about Xavi going to NY FC! Also, proud of the Sounders for a good showing against Tottenham. Lastly, our local NASL team Minnesota United FC trumped Swansea 2-0 in a friendly this past weekend. Very impressive results. Lots going on in the transfers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Oh, the all star game - I'm sure it's been discussed - but what's the purpose? It's a hold over from the other US sports giving the players a chance at injury, and the way I see it it gives potential US fans a reason to turn away from MLS when they see our best team get destroyed by some European club. The average person won't consider that the MLS hasn't played together before (except for USMNT experiences), and will just write our team off as sub par.

Oh, the all star game - I'm sure it's been discussed - but what's the purpose?

Same as it is for any other sport. Meaningless exhibition to make money and I suppose make some fans happy.

It's a hold over from the other US sports giving the players a chance at injury, and the way I see it it gives potential US fans a reason to turn away from MLS when they see our best team get destroyed by some European club. The average person won't consider that the MLS hasn't played together before (except for USMNT experiences), and will just write our team off as sub par.

I can see this argument, but I don't think anyone that is turned off by something like the result of an All-Star game was really in the running to be a fan anyway. Someone that points to the All-Star game to write-off MLS was someone that was looking for reasons to write off MLS.

I can see this argument, but I don't think anyone that is turned off by something like the result of an All-Star game was really in the running to be a fan anyway. Someone that points to the All-Star game to write-off MLS was someone that was looking for reasons to write off MLS.

This! Fully agree.

Personally, I enjoy the ASG. Yes it's silly in the grand scheme of soccer culture but it's what we as Americans are wont to do. It gives the league international attention (beating Chelsea last year was actually kind of a big deal), it pulls in more revenue during the entire ASG week, and it's a chance for fans to collectively build our dream team.

This! Fully agree.

Personally, I enjoy the ASG. Yes it's silly in the grand scheme of soccer culture but it's what we as Americans are wont to do. It gives the league international attention (beating Chelsea last year was actually kind of a big deal), it pulls in more revenue during the entire ASG week, and it's a chance for fans to collectively build our dream team.

See, I imagine some new fans, fresh off the World Cup fever, looking around for soccer satisfaction...hey, here's a home grown league...but wait, they just got schooled by Bayern Munich...hey, aren't Mericans supposed to be the best? Tune away to another sport/league...

I agree, as a soccer fan it's cool to see our teams/players play against these high quality sides. In fact, I'd go see the ASG myself. I think it shines poorly on the quality the MLS has to offer to see our supposed "best" team get hosed by Real Madrid or another such team. Do colleges play the #1 team on their homecoming weekend? Of course not, they play some team they will bury to rally the troops.

I do t think I have all the answers, but I get a little embarrassed for out league if we get destroyed (and proud when we beat Chelsea) is all I mean, and for a league in the business of building the fan base, I question the logic.

To be fair for MLS, they've only lost poorly twice, against Man U and lets face it, Fergie is a bit of a dick who wouldn't treat that like a warm up game.

See, I imagine some new fans, fresh off the World Cup fever, looking around for soccer satisfaction...hey, here's a home grown league...but wait, they just got schooled by Bayern Munich...hey, aren't Mericans supposed to be the best? Tune away to another sport/league...

Didn't they already figure out watching the World Cup that 'Mericans aren't the best? :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I am driving 4 hours south to Boston to see the liverpool /AS Roma game today.
I hope the rain holds til the end of the game

The City game should be great here in So Cal I'm stuck with Manchester United hopefully the Galaxy destroy them.

it's football season, give it up soccer fans

As much as I hate feeding the troll, I love using this gif:

tumblr_m024jbxWQs1qkd6mwo1_500.gif

Thoughts about the friendlies? I didn't see them, but cringe at the scores.

I watched most of Tottenham/Toronto was a good match. Sporting KC/Man City was really good for the first 45 then sporting pulled all their starters for the second half. Because of the World Cup these fixtures looked really bad for some teams. Bradley and Zusi for example didn't play yesterday.

I didn't catch Man U vs LA but I'm not shocked. Lots of people trying to impress a new coach. Not the best scenario to run into Man U buzzsaw.

Yeah, and a new coach trying to establish dominance. He is of course expected to turn MU back into the force they were a few years back. Sounds like LA were hammered.

Man U looked good! I really don't like Manchester United, but I'm a big Mata fan such a creative force on the field they are going to finish top four and Moreno will regret treating Mata the way he did. It's going to be fun watching Mata & Rooney play together.

I had to look up Eurosnobs on Urban Dictionary. Really, that is quite a kind name for these plastic dickwads. Some name more abrasive is in order, methinks.

You'd think more of them would have switched band wagons, but I guess that would mean that would actually have to follow the sport to realize that United are on the decline. Oh well, they'll get the memo in a few years and can buy a another shirt....

I had to look up Eurosnobs on Urban Dictionary. Really, that is quite a kind name for these plastic dickwads. Some name more abrasive is in order, methinks.

I like plastic dickwads. Let's go with that.

You'd think more of them would have switched band wagons, but I guess that would mean that would actually have to follow the sport to realize that United are on the decline. Oh well, they'll get the memo in a few years and can buy a another shirt....

Ha no kidding. Oh well, the ticket prices were outrageous so I'm sure our FO is happy to take those idiots' money.

Who knows, maybe we can sign Messi and then we'll all of a sudden have millions of new "life-long Galaxy supporters."

I like plastic dickwads. Let's go with that.

Ha no kidding. Oh well, the ticket prices were outrageous so I'm sure our FO is happy to take those idiots' money.

Who knows, maybe we can sign Messi and then we'll all of a sudden have millions of new "life-long Galaxy supporters."

C'mon you know Ronaldo is next in this list you guys get all the pretty boys.

C'mon you know Ronaldo is next in this list you guys get all the pretty boys.

Yeeeah that does seem to be the case. But tell that to the huge fanclub of girls that Kyle Beckerman picked up during the WC. :D

Back