Wyeast 1335 & Notty Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
Previously, I'd brewed two ~6% beers with Notty (one pale, the other a brown ale), and both of them had a flavor in the aftertaste that I called very slighty medicinal, and SWMBO called smoky. The flavor went away after conditioning in the keg for about 2 months.

I just kegged a 6% Newcastle recipe which used Wyeast 1335 after 3 weeks in the fermenter. This beer has that same flavor in the hydrometer sample.

I'm curious if 1335 is the same as Notty, and I'm also curious if anyone has experienced this flavor & can identify it?

I've never had any discernible flavor from Nottingham. One of the main reasons I use it so much.

I use both yeasts. I really like the 1335 and use it for my Amber and Pale Ale. USUALLY notty is clean for me, except the last beer I made that was from the evil bad batch everyone is talking about. Not once have I noticed the same flavors from the yeasts. The 1335 is a lower attenuator and does not provide the same flavor profile as notty IMO.

Latest posts

Back