Copper manifold advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
I am assembling a copper manifold for my MLT. What works better, the slots or drilled holes? Assuming drilled holes, what size drill and how would you configure the holes, 1 row below the pipe, 2 rows, alternating holes in 2 rows?
Lastly what is the easiest method to remove the copper pieces attached inisde the pipe? Thanks
BTW, the steel braid works just fine but the copper looks slicker.:)

I can't say that I've tried both and can give you a good comparison but I made slots in my manifold using a dremel tool. It has worked great. I'm not sure of the slot width. The cutting attachment was pretty narrow, though.
I did not solder my manifold. I relied on the imperfection of my tubing lengths to give me an out of square manifold. It stays together in the Mash Tun.

you could probably do either. My concern with drilled holes is (depending on the size) they would be much more prone to getting clogged and giving you a stuck sparge over the slots. For that reason I personally went with the slots and cut them with dremel. Dremel makes a beefed up version of cutting blades that work well.

I also just dry fit my manifold and haven't ever had a problem with it. Just be careful not to knock it too much when you stir!

Back