Which is better for fermenting, fridge or freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manny101

Reaction score
Been looking for something I can ferment my 6.5 gallon carboy in. Wouldn't mind having something big enough for two carboys in case I want to do a 10 gallon batch. So I was wondering what evrybody else prefers or uses. How much cubic feet do I need for fridge and freezer to accommodate at least 1 and possibly 2 carboys? Thanks.

I bought an upright freezer for fermenting and lagering. I chose a freezer because I felt it would be more efficient at getting down to 32-34 deg. F., plus, it was easier to find a freezer that was a single compartment than a refrigerator that didn't have a freezer compartment.

I can fit two 6 gal. carboys in it at once, or probably four or five kegs at once (I've only had two in at once so far). I believe it is 13.7 cubic feet.

It is a flat bottom freezer. There was a plastic "false bottom" that allowed the air to circulate under it, but I removed it since I didn't feel it could take the weight of 10+ gallons of beer. The shelves are removable, so I removed all but the top one for storage.

Here's some pics:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

For those who are interested, the contents of my freezer are as follows, starting from the top left: 1 bottle of 14 year old mead, 1 mixed six-pack of Oktoberfest and Vienna Lager, 2 bottles of Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner, 2 bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, 4 boxes of Thin Mints, a temperature probe immersed in bottle of water, and an empty keg (too lazy to drag it out, but it will be filled soon).

Nice, thanks for the pics. Could I fit two 6.5 gallon carboys in there? How may cubic feet is it?

I just scored a 23 cubic foot chest freezer locally for $180. I can probably put 4 carboys or more in it or a whole slew of cornies.

The freezer is 13.7 cubic feet. Interior dimensions are 17" x 23" (height doesn't matter for this case).

I would be able to fit two 6.5 gal. carboys in there (mine is 12" diameter), but with a modification. The door shelves are molded into a panel that can be removed, and I'd have to remove it to make enough space; otherwise, the shelves intrude too much into the compartment. The second carboy would fit diagonal to the first.

Here's a pic. I only have one 6.5 gal. carboy, so you'll have to use some imagination. The carboy is as far in the corner as it can go. The little dark mark towards the front of the freezer indicates where the door shelves intrude into the compartment.

photo3.jpg

I have the same exact freezer. You can fit a 6.5 and 5 gallon next to each other on the bottom half and the top half. Two 6.5's fit fine also, so you could have two 6'5's primary fermenting and two 5's down below.

Usually I put my 6.5 on the top of the freezer for primary (it comes right in the basement window from the boil) and then just siphon off to the 5 in the freezer for secondary lagering and cold storage.

However, the shelf for the top half is quite flimsy and I wouldn't trust it to hold even 5 gallons without some additional support so I don't use it.

Back