how much sugar to backsweeten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
I just made some cider from apple juice and its around 8%. I tasted it after a month and it tasted like dirty pants, i added a random ammount of sugar and the taste was fantastic!

I need to sweeten the whole 4 litres, any idea of a base ammount of sugar per litre to give a nice semi sweet taste and bring out the apple flavour?

thanks

p.s i will kill the yeast

Consider frozen apple juice concentrate as well to sweeten. It helps keep the apple flavor.

I usually use 2 cans of concentrate for 5 gallons if that helps.

Or you can add, stir and taste until it seems right to you.

I usually use 2 cans of concentrate for 5 gallons if that helps.

Or you can add, stir and taste until it seems right to you.

Do you add that to completely dry cider? I was thinking of adding 2 cans of AJC to a cider that I crashed at 1.01, plus another 2 pounds of brown sugar for a 4.5 gallon batch. Think that would be too sweet? Trying to shoot for about the sweetness of Angry Orchard original, maybe a tad bit dryer.

CodyA said:
Do you add that to completely dry cider? I was thinking of adding 2 cans of AJC to a cider that I crashed at 1.01, plus another 2 pounds of brown sugar for a 4.5 gallon batch. Think that would be too sweet? Trying to shoot for about the sweetness of Angry Orchard original, maybe a tad bit dryer.

It would definitely be too sweet for me, but like I said you can taste it as you go.

Back