Wiring a Chugger Pump to a light switch help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
I need the help of an electrician! Or someone who is just better than me at this stuff... :drunk:

I bough a chugger pump for my brew stand and lo and behold it doesnt have an on off switch. I just went out and bought a water resistant light switch and an extension cord. How do I wire the pump so that it works off the on/off switch (using the extension cord to plug into the outlet and then wired back to the light switch).

Many thanks!

I'm reasonably handy with basic wiring. so you are going to mount the switch and the socket to your table and hope to run an extension cord from these two to a wall? is that correct?

if it's possible, what I would like to do is run the extension cord from an outlet in my garage to the light switch housing for power. Then run the line from the pump into the same housing. When the light switch is turned on, the pump receives power, and when its off the pump turns off.

is that all? Easy. You're going to want to plug this "contraption" into a GFCI outlet (the ones with test and reset that are in your kitchen and bathroom). hopefully that is what you're rockin in the garage.It adds a layer of safety to the whole water near power thing. I've attached a diagram for you. Cut the plug off the pump, septate and strip an inch of the wires. Identify ground (bare copper) neutral (white) and hot (black). do the same to the female end of your extension cord. these two cords enter the box from two locations, power in from the bottom power out from the top. this is standard electrical wiring, but for your purposes if it's easier to reverse it, go for it. Extension cord will be the FROM power source in the diagram. Connect both Whites, use a wire nut. connect both Grounds, use a wire nut. Black wire from the extension goes to the bottom pole of the switch. black write out to the pump goes to the top pole on the same side of the switch. Done. post a pick.

20120707_221743.jpg

The all in one GFI unit is nice, but consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HAVVKG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It gives remote control of your pump from anywhere. Prior to picking this up I spent many a paniced moment trying to unplug my pump while quarts of wort spewed across my driveway, or my pump made sad dry noises. Now I can correct any pump issue from across the room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back