Hard Lemonade Yeast Cake for Hard Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdbogart

Reaction score
Hello!

I currently have a hard lemonade bubbling away - it's just 10 cans of lemonade concentrate, 2 lbs of corn sugar and 1lb light DME (OG 1.060). I used a wyeast champagne yeast. I want to make a simple hard cider next - would it be safe to just make the hard cider on the hard lemonade yeast cake, or would it give my cider a lemonade flavor?

I also have a hef going and was thinking of using that yeast; however, it's a german hef yeast and I don't know if it would impart too much of the hef flavor onto the cider.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello!

I currently have a hard lemonade bubbling away - it's just 10 cans of lemonade concentrate, 2 lbs of corn sugar and 1lb light DME (OG 1.060). I used a wyeast champagne yeast. I want to make a simple hard cider next - would it be safe to just make the hard cider on the hard lemonade yeast cake, or would it give my cider a lemonade flavor?

I also have a hef going and was thinking of using that yeast; however, it's a german hef yeast and I don't know if it would impart too much of the hef flavor onto the cider.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't. It's going to likely finish around 8% ABV and have been exposed to some pretty nasty conditions. I would just get a fresh packet of dry yeast for the cider. The hef might be interesting. Found this.

Back