Dual buckets, dual spigots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedaler

Reaction score
Does anyone use this set-up? Basically use two plastic fermenters, both with spigots. You would use one as the primary, when its done use the spigot to transfer into the bottling bucket, then bottle. I realize that getting too much trub in the bottling bucket might be a concern, but it seems like the hole is high enough not to affect it much, especially if you use a paint filter on the tubing. Also, I've seen this set-up in many of the kits sold online, and Alton Brown did this in his brewing episode (which I realized was flawed in many ways). It seems like this would make the entire process much easier, siphoning is what I hate the most out of the process.

thedaler said:
Does anyone use this set-up? Basically use two plastic fermenters, both with spigots. You would use one as the primary, when its done use the spigot to transfer into the bottling bucket, then bottle. I realize that getting too much trub in the bottling bucket might be a concern, but it seems like the hole is high enough not to affect it much, especially if you use a paint filter on the tubing. Also, I've seen this set-up in many of the kits sold online, and Alton Brown did this in his brewing episode (which I realized was flawed in many ways). It seems like this would make the entire process much easier, siphoning is what I hate the most out of the process.

Really? I find siphoning is maybe time consuming, but not that big of a deal really.

We've been experimenting with when to use a regular cane/hose setup and when to use the autosiphon.

If you haven't tried an autosiphon, you should. It's ~$11 well spent.

So far we've concluded that the cane/hose is best for siphoning out of a carboy b/c you can really aim it. The autosiphon is good for a bucket or brew kettle, since the thicker shaft doesn't matter with an open topped vessel.

On our last brew we whirlpooled the wort while it was cooling in an ice bath and then (auto)siphoned the wort away from the hops. We left a lot of hops in the kettle that way.

Also, in any situation where you don't care about turbulence or whatever, the autosiphon works as a simple hand pump.

I admit that setting up a siphon without an autosiphon is easier with more than one person.

Here's how I do it, in case this helps. We keep a keg tub a bit more than half full of sanitizer solution throughout any session. I sanitize everything then get the hose on the cane. Then hold the cane end up and let the other end spiral slowly down into the solution, filling the hose. Get the solution up into the cane as much as you reasonably can and then cap the hose end with your thumb. Hold the cane up and flick it a bit to get excess sanitizer off. Put the cane into the carboy and release the other end into a smaller vessel (we use a 1 gal pitcher that we also use for gal measures). Once beer flows through, crimp the hose and place it in the bottom of the bottling bucket or secondary and let it go again. Then it's just a matter of making sure you don't loose siphon and tilting the carboy up.

Cheers! :mug:

Moon

My fear of using a spigot on a primary bucket is that you have an addition area for bacteria to hide. But if you sanitization methods are spot on, you should have no issues.

I've seen where people use a similar setup with Better Bottles and their racking ports, using CO2 to push the beer so that it's a completely closed system. Me, I'm fine with how I'm doing this now. My only concern is whether you'd be able to completely sanitize the spigot before using it (since the bucket would be full of beer).

jayflap said:
My fear of using a spigot on a primary bucket is that you have an addition area for bacteria to hide. But if you sanitization methods are spot on, you should have no issues.

~20 batches or so with a spigot on primary and have not had a problem yet. My biggest worry has been trying to keep it cool enough. Since it has that additional area for bacteria, I refuse to set it in a bathtub full of water. Even if I don't plan to use the spigot it still scares me.

Right now, for the first time, I have my primary sitting in a large pail full of water. This was a cheap batch so I wasn't so worried about losing it. ;)

fezzman said:
~20 batches or so with a spigot on primary and have not had a problem yet. My biggest worry has been trying to keep it cool enough. Since it has that additional area for bacteria, I refuse to set it in a bathtub full of water. Even if I don't plan to use the spigot it still scares me.

Right now, for the first time, I have my primary sitting in a large pail full of water. This was a cheap batch so I wasn't so worried about losing it. ;)

How about a bathtub full of vodka?? :drunk:

I just had a thought. Obviously the spigot can be easily removed before hand to sanitize, the thing is keeping it sanitized after the fact. Could you turn the spigot up and fill it with Star San (or vodka) to keep the inside of the spigot clean. It would obviously have to be a sanitizer that would be able to last the week + of primary but it might work. I would think that Iodaphor or One Step would lose it's effectiveness at that length of time.

Sure it's a weird option, but it might work.

Jason

I use a bucket with spigot as primary, then a Better Bottle with racking port as secondary, and then when I was bottling, I used the first bucket again as the bottling bucket.

jayflap said:
How about a bathtub full of vodka?? :drunk:

I just had a thought. Obviously the spigot can be easily removed before hand to sanitize, the thing is keeping it sanitized after the fact. Could you turn the spigot up and fill it with Star San (or vodka) to keep the inside of the spigot clean. It would obviously have to be a sanitizer that would be able to last the week + of primary but it might work. I would think that Iodaphor or One Step would lose it's effectiveness at that length of time.

Sure it's a weird option, but it might work.

Jason

That lead to another thought. Attach a hose to the spigot and leave the hose hanging outside of the tub. Fill the hose with vodka where it loops down into the tub. This way the tub could be filled much higher than the level of the spigot.

I doubt I'd go to that extreme but it would likely work.

My first equipment kit came with this exact same setup. It works like a charm. You do have to clean and sanitize well, but it isn't that big of a deal. I would drain the sanitizer through the spigot and never had a problem. Make sure you use hop bags to minimize any trub. Also, when you move to the bottling bucket, just cover it and let it sit for half an hour. Any thing that got in will settle to othe bottom and won't come out of the spigot.

Back