holiday spiced wheat or wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
I've been searching for a holiday spiced (cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc.) wheat or wit but really haven't found one that has many reviews and feedback. Does anyone have any suggestions? I suppose I'd be more interested in the wheat because I could get it to the keg faster, leaving more time to age before the end of next month.

i made a thread a couple days ago asking about making a spiced dunkel. not to much feedback. someone suggested to research amounts used in christmas/holdiay ales and adjust as needed. maybe we can come up with something here together.

i made a thread a couple days ago asking about making a spiced dunkel. not to much feedback. someone suggested to research amounts used in christmas/holdiay ales and adjust as needed. maybe we can come up with something here together.

I saw your thread the other day but for some reason I was thinking I was wanting something different than a dunkel. I guess ultimately, I was wanting to use a wheat I've already had success with. I've never done a dunkel and am not sure this is one I would want to try out for the first time, no time to recover if it all goes bad. Hence, my search for something with a lot of feed back.

I'm not opposed to creating something from scratch, with or without help. In fact, I think I would really like that. However, while wheats are one of my favorite styles, I have not experience with dunkel.

Do you think some of those previously mentioned spices would mesh well with a wheat based beer? I haven't found much and I'm trying to figure out why that is. Is it not a good pairing or is it something no one has interest in? A lot of the holiday beers I've found require a long conditioning time, which I was looking to avoid, and tend to have a bit more roasted complexities. I found this holiday recipe, not wheat based, but uses some of the spices and based on the feedback is semi-good at 3 weeks post packaging. I plan on doing the recipe but was wanting something else, lighter session if you will.

What are your thoughts snazo?

*bump* Anyone have any new info on this? I have a BB weizenbier kit that I wanted to see if I could turn into a Winter Wheat somehow.

I've made a Pumpkin Dunkel and I think it turned out pretty good. It has all the normal spices for pumpkin pie in it, so I think you would be fine going the spiced route even without the pumpkin. I don't recommend cloves, let that come from the yeast. I added spices at knockout as well as in secondary.

I'm looking to do something along these lines, and would like to hear what other people are doing. I'm looking a holiday version of a american wheat/rye. I was thinking sweet orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla. I hope to stay on the lighter side of the spice flavors. I'm not sure whether to do a spice tea and add it at kegging, or do a steep in secondary for a week or so.

Okay...so after much debate, I've decided to go the spiced dunkel route. I just brewed up this recipe last night and it's fermenting away right now. I probably would have chosen Wyeast 3944 instead but couldn't get my hands on it. Instead I used Wyeast 3522. I'm vering off from the original recipe to cater more to what I had in mind. I don't think I'll add any fruite puree. Instead, I'll probably add some of the spices I was wanting (ie. allspice, nutmeg, vanilla, cloves, maybe even pumpkin pie spice.) Does anyone have suggestions on the spices?

Now this influenced by my personal preferences but I would leave the allspice, and cloves out. Nutmeg, and vanilla would probably be nice. The pumpkin pie spice mixes have allspice, clove, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in them typically. So I would go to a Indian market if you have one to buy them separately. They're far cheaper than the grocery store and probably more fresh. For example I can get 7oz of coriander for $1.30 where it's like $4 for a tiny bottle at the grocery store. I just picked up 7oz of whole cinnamon sticks for $2.90 on saturday.

I'm thinking about a dark wit spiced for christmas. The color would come from D90 syrup. With tangerine zest, and bitter orange zest, star anise, and grains of paradise rounding out the spics.

You are going for a completely different type of beer but moderation is key. I think in most 5 gal batches 1gram of most spices is enough to be safe. The other option would be to make an alcohol extraction of the spice essential oils.

Latest posts

Back