pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcalisi

Reaction score
I need two pumps for my single tier system. I would like to get a couple little giants but they are too much for my current budget... so looks like it will be march for now. My question is why does the March 809 PL-HS-C have a 3/8 inlet, is this the one to get, or should I just get the 809 PL-HS-INLINE?

If you have all full 1/2" flow fittings, (most people don't) go with the first option, I assume it's a little cheaper? I have the old school brass qd's and there's nothing to gain with a higher flow pump. No real issues unless you plan to whirlpool. Besides filling the mt all my pumps are throttled down to half or less when in use anyways.

Thanks Wildwest. So far I have managed to keep everything 1/2". I went with the cam locks with 90 streets instead of the hose barb. Now I just need to get my herms coil done and work on the stand.

Cool. My herms coil is only 3/8, but I still have to throttle the pump down, you can only recirc so fast before you have a massive stuck sparge.

_

Thanks Wildwest. So far I have managed to keep everything 1/2". I went with the cam locks with 90 streets instead of the hose barb. Now I just need to get my herms coil done and work on the stand.

Yeah I added the Elbows to my rig this weekend and I love the improvement. Smoothest bout with the pump yet.

I know but I'm a bit ocd sometimes. I may relent and just go the 3/8" route for the coil. Besides less wort lost in the coil once you move to boil... what length did you use in the coil?

25', any more is really overkill unless you have a 2 vessel setup and use your coil for chilling.
You won't have any wort loss because you will be sparging through the coil. That's how I do it anyway. And it cleans the coil as it sparges.
_

No problem. I still stare in stupidity at which hose goes to what pump to which kettle. And that's after 11 batches.

_

I use the rings on the Cam Locks. One ring, HLT out - 2 rings, pumb in, no rings.....I forget where that one goes.

Do you guys feel the standard head on the March pumps is fine? I see tonnes and tonnes of folk advocating getting the steel head, but that's a ridiculous price increase. I can't quite justify that.

I wondered the same thing but as far as I can tell the SS head is over kill for our use. Unless you just have some extra cash to blow but that is just my 2c's.

Have you considered a Chugger Pump? They seem to be out of stock lately but I'm sure they will be selling SS versions again soon.

Back