cornelius keg not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blunt969

Reaction score
Hi new to the cornelius keg set up. Done my research on the internet, dont have a fridge yet so carbonating at room tempture. Brewed a coopers wheat beer left it for 8 weeks and then put it in to my keg. Set the psi to 30 and left it for 1 week and no carbonation.Left it for 4 more days and still no carbonation.
ps the room temp is around 16 degrees celsius and no leaks in the keg please help.

chill the beer....cold liquids retain co2 better. Or I think you must have a leak.

I kegged an IPA last week 30 psi for 36 hours, then 12 psi for 2 days....awesome wonderful beer.

Thanks for the info. If i had a leak should the co2 tank be empty after two weeks.
New to all of this. ps can you carbonate at room temp.

You don't want to carbonate at room temperature. It will be ungodly foamy. Also, never leave you beer @ 30 psi for one week. 3 days should be the max. You have to have a leak somewhere. When force carbing, I always go with one week at 12 psi. Always perfect.

I personally would not get into kegging if you don't have a dedicated fridge for them, Unless its winter in your garage, that is. Stick to bottles until you have a place to chill them. No one wants to drink warm beer.

It's a leak. probably a slow one. if this is the first time you've had your gas setup on a keg of beer then it could be anywhere. mix a drop of detergent in a spray bottle full of water and spray around the connections looking for bubbling. if that doesn't turn it up you'll have to take everything apart and re-assemble. are you using the the hard plastic washer thing that seals the regulator to the CO2 bottle? did you use teflon tape? buy the yellow kind, it's a little thicker and is made for gas plumbing. you'll have to check the whole keg too. Also, this question should be asked in the bottling and kegging forum.

good luck

Anytime I've had leaks, they've been from either my lids not being sealed right (sometimes they seal better one direction) or my connection at the hose barb. Usually it's a hose clamp that's night tight enough. BUT...as said above, don't carb your beer at room temp. You'll have nothing but foam.

Back