BestMalz Best Pilsen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is this a 2-row base malt? I know it says so, but 2-Row I've bought before was simply 2-Row.

From their catalog;

Best Pilsen (1-2°L) Best premium Pilsen malt is produced from the highest quality 2-Row Spring barley
which is selected for its low total protein levels, high extract levels and low color. This malt can be used for
Pilsners and Lagers of all types or as an all purpose base malt for beers of all types.

Yah, it is Pilsner, not to be confused with simple 2-Row pale malt

So, really what is the difference? I've been wanting to know for a while since swithching to AG.
I made my first AG pilsnere with canadian 2-row (like a smash pretty much) and now made the same one with Global Malt Pilsner.. so in a couple of months i will know the difference.
Is it a big difference in taste?

2-row is a type of barley....a generic term really as compared to 6-row malt.

All the barley that we use (most of us) is 2-row. The term "2-row" has often been used to describe a domestic malt. Most maltsters call this "domestic 2-row pale ale mlat" or something like that.

Most of your continental Pilsner malt is 2-row malt. The distinction of "Pilsner malt" is describing the kiln level. Pilsner malt is the lightest malt that you can get that I know of.

Is there a taste difference? Yeah, there is, especially in lighter beers. Is either necessarily better? No. Just depends on what you are brewing and your tastes.

Is this a good 2 Row base malt;

CMC Canadian 2-Row (1.5-2.1°L)
Traditional, premium grade 2-Row malt made from the finest Canadian barley malt varieties. This malt is a
suitable base for all beer styles.

I'm getting in on a group buy from Mid Country and this is the only 2-Row I see in their catalog. I normally use Briess 2-Row because I can get it local, but a group buy brings the cost way down. If the CMC is good.

If youve been using Briess, the only way you can go is up...

Canadian 2-Row is excellent.

Back