Wheat beer with a kick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revrand65

Reaction score
Ok ,hope nowbody laughs...but i'm finally gonna try a shot at brewing my own wheat beer recipe...well here it goe's...10 lbs wheat lme,4 lbs light lme..but i'm not quite sure what hops to use for bittering and and finishing..i was considering going with1 oz of northern brewer for bittering and 1/2 oz of cascade for finishing..i'm still thinking about the specialty grains..any suggestions...i'm guessing it will be around 8% alch..thanks for any replies.:drunk:..also would Nottingham ale yeast be ok for this..i have a ton of it.

Wheats are one of those brews where the yeast does matter, because the wheat malt doesn't have as much flavor as barley malts. Nottingham won't add anything. I think an 8% wheat won't taste like anything except alcohol, you don't have much bittering hops in there to balance the ABV and if you did boost the hops, you would mask what little flavor the wheat has to start with.

I'd cut back to a 5% target and maybe add 8 oz of rye.

Yeah, I have usd Nottingham and it is pretty clean and just doesnt ADD anything to the beer. I use Windsor alot, it adds flavors to the beer that I personally like. mY $.02

Brewpilot

I would agree with everything David said here. From literature and experience I want to add.... my first AG was a wheat that had 1.070 gravity. It's been aging for a while now... bout 6 months... still taste a sharp alcohol flavor. I also want to add, as Bill has mentioned in other threads.... the yeast for Wheats is important as others have said here. Your savings will be 5 bucks.... 6 at the very most . I'd use WLP300 or something of the sort as well as cut back a bit.... you want to hit around 1.050ish.

Back