anyone grow their own fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeMonkey

Reaction score
just wondering since i planted 2 raspberry and 4 blueberry bushes this year for the express purpose of using them in meads.

the raspberries are heritage variety and the blueberries are 2 chippewa and 2 elliott. when they're fully grown i should get lots of berries from them 20-30 "struck" quarts total, however much that is. i'm still trying to figure out what a struck quart is. 20-30 sounds like a lot regardless.

I have blackberries and raspberries, though not enough for wine and mead making. I do have grape vines and elderberries that provide enough fruit for wine and mead.

I have many Strawberry plants on the side of my house the produce berries a few times during the season. I pick them when they are ripe, clean and de-stem them, then freeze them until I get enough to do whatever I am using them for. Typically a Strawberry Wine. I have had good results and hope to add some Blackberry to my backyard area next year.

I also have some grape vines, but I am still struggling with these to get them to produce good yields.

Salute! :mug:

I have wild raspberries all around the edge of my yard... I have eaten them often, but have yet to use them. Maybe next season I'll get motivated and raspberry a wheat beer.

Planted raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and grapes this year. I don't know if the grapes will make it, my dog decided to bury a bone where they were planted... twice. The raspberries have really taken off, others more slowly.

I planted crabapple trees and a sour cherry tree about 8 years ago. I use them for wines. I grow rhubarb for rhubarb wine. I have currants, also.

I don't have enough blackberries or raspberries for wine, but I do have some.

I pick a ton of fruit this time of year! I've been harvesting chokecherries (wild) for about two weeks, since those make a great wine. I also "grow" dandelions for wine, too.

We have a ton of raspberries but I usually eat them before anything can be done with them. We also have strawberries, grapes (also live next to a vineyard tough to resist), pears, apples, plums, and blue berries. The last two years I have wanted to try plum wine but this year we had a week of 100+ weather and the plums didn't so well and we were out of town so I was not able to save them.

We have grapes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, currants, strawberries, apple, cherry, peach, pear and fig tress planted and some I am missing too. But all are young but the grapes are coming along nicely as are the strawberries. In time we should have lots of everything. We mostly feed the turkeys and the bugs though. We tried to go all organic but I have finally convinced her we have to use something or else we will never get any fruit we can eat unless we want to eat worms too. The beetles eat every last peach on the trees.

I've planted blueberries, cherry, apple and peach trees, but no, I don't grow any fruit, yet. Other than feral blackberries, not much happening.

nice to know i;m not alone. right now i only have what i've listed but i plan on doing more in the future. i may also do grapes, more raspberries and blueberries, probably some blackberries and maybe some straw berries. i dont have room for all of them as i am also growing hazelnuts so i may go with grapes and blackberries. i'm thinking concord grapes.

i'm also growing as organically as i can. no herbicides or pesticides, only compost made from materials AFAIK that didnt have pesitcides or herbicides used on them, etc. the compost really makes a difference. the cantaloupe i grew this year were extremely sweet and juicy to the point they almost gushed when they were cut open. tons of flavor, firm but yielding flesh. they were unlike any melon you get at the store. night and day.

i made some mini muffins with the raspberries i collected the past few days and they are excellent. fresh out of the oven the raspberries made me think they were more of a jam. again better than anything i've gotten from the store. tons of flavor and very sweet.

gardening at home > buying produce at the store. hands down.

Blackberries, Rasberries, Strawberries. Planted some Blueberry bushes but, they didn't take. I think the spot they were in was too alkaline for them and caught too late.

I'll try again next year.

I planted a lemon tree in the back yard this spring but the puppy uprooted it. She's a big pup.

So I planted another one this summer, and the Texas summer did it in.

Looks like I'll be planting a third one this spring. I would like to use my own citrus for wit beers.

So I just bought my first home and along with it got 2 pear trees and an apple tree...

The fruit I see are pretty much decimated by bugs and bees right now, but I would like to try to get some useful fruit out of them next year. Any tips, tricks, suggestions for pesticides/insecticides. I'm all for organic if it's feasible, but I don't think its feasible for me to get much out of these trees without spraying them...

On the plus side, the previous owner left me a stainless steel pesticide sprayer so I'm all set up once I know what to spray and when...

^$*&&*)& gophers killed another apple tree!

On the plus side, Boss made his first varmint kill today. Not on my property, but he's getting the idea.

Added a pear tree this summer. K-Mart had a bunch out on the curb reduced and dying. We picked the healthiest one and it is doing well, next spring will be the proof though. I hate when K-Mart, HD, lowes, etc. let their livestock die from lack of care. I guess the growers don't want them back, they already got their money. A shame I think, real shame but I can't save the world.

Back