Does defrost cycle affect a keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_j8mmin

Reaction score
I understand chest freezers have a defrost cycle? How does it work and does it affect my freezer setup that cuts/allows power at the freezers plug ?

Never seen a defrost cycle on a chest freezer although I assume someone has made one. Using it as a Keezer you would not have any issues of frost as nothing is at freezing temps, so there is nothing to defrost. Most are manual defrost which means turning off and opening the drain plug.

Neither of my chest freezers have a defrost cycle. I can't remember ever seeing one that way. Uprights are a different story.

ditto, my chest freezer has no defrost cycle. pretty sure when you have uprights with the coils built into the shelves is when you'll see defrost cycle options.

and those freezers aren't much good for kegs or fermenters since the shelves can't be moved (at least not easily).

I understand chest freezers have a defrost cycle? How does it work and does it affect my freezer setup that cuts/allows power at the freezers plug ?

If you're using a temp controller, it doesn't really matter. The temp controller acts as a defrost cycle - once it gets to a certain temp, it cuts the compressor. It'll never get cold enough for the actual defrost cycle to kick in.

That's generally the advantage of a chest freezer over a fridge freezer, no defrost cycle which is what causes "freezer burn"

I have never seen a frost free chest freezer. Only upright freezers have that option IMHO and they cost a good 30%+ more.

Back