Primary in Glass Or Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerbigt

Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering whats the best way to start your primary?? In a glass carboy or a plastic container?? I am going to be putting it in a keg and force carbing it eventually. Any help would be great.
I know its probably a dumb question but im very new to this.
Thanks for the help in advance.

I don't think your beer has a peference on what it likes better as long as it is sanitary

I don't think your beer has a peference on what it likes better as long as it is sanitary

THIS is probably the answer I have ever heard!!!!!!!!

This is probably the most discussed topics on here, and it really really really comes down to your preference....Me, I don't use glass if I can avoid it...

Everything I use is either buckets, Betterbottles or 3 gallon water jugs...

Here's a lot of threads for your enjoyment and edumactaion, so you can best make your own decision...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=2937480

AND here's my biggest reason why I avoid glass...they don't make carboy as well as they might have 20-30 years ago...and I'm a clutz...So I like to keep my blood on the inside of my skin...:D

No More Glass Beer Fermenters - Lustreking Brewing

I've used plastic buckets, better bottles, and glass carboys. They all work fine as long as its clean and sanitary as mentioned above :)

they both have their pro's and con's, Bucket are easier to clean, dry hop in, and won't let the light in, but they stain and can scratch easier than glass giving bacteria a place to live. With glass carboys you can see what's going on, it's a little easier to wash yeast because you can see the separation happening between the yeast and trub. IMO they are a pain to clean and require some extra effort to keep them out of the light. Those are just few.

Like everyone else has said, they will both work fine as long as they are sanitary. I use both because that is what I have gathered over the years, and I don't want to spend the money to switch one way or the other.

C'mon guys, you'all are being way too "noncommittal"! It is time for another glass vs plastic debate. The last one was over 2 days ago!

Listen to kryolla and Revvy..... it is all personal preference, YOURS. The yeast couldn't care less.

C'mon guys, you'all are being way too "noncommittal"! It is time for another glass vs plastic debate. The last one was over 2 days ago!

Listen to kryolla and Revvy..... it is all personal preference, YOURS. The yeast couldn't care less.

I think it's because the last one two days ago was sort of the straw that broke the camels back...I guess when you have 10,000 threads of this question, even the new brewers on here are tired of this discussion, you get to a point where you actually don't give a flying flipper anymore...you just wanna have some thing to put your beer in.....And I was nice in my initial post, i even went and liked to the search for all the threads on this discussion so the OP can read the answers of all those people who no longer care to post about this topic either...:D

We could just post the answers to all those questions on our siggy...

Glass vs Plastic...Doesn't matter...both work
Water Bottles vs Betterbottles...I use both...Both Work
Aluminum vs Stainless I have one of each, doesn't matter...both work
Batch vs Fly Sparge...I batch but some people like to fly...both work
Long Primary vs secondary...I long primary, some use a secondary...both work

Hey wow, I just realized something...in ALL THE VS QUESTIONS, about process or equipment, the answer is the same...They Both Make Beer!

:D

Bottled water vs. filtered water...Both work

But don't use polycarbonate bottles for fermenting... could make you grow breasts (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bottles-7-banned-63402/)

Bottled water vs. filtered water...Both work

But don't use polycarbonate bottles for fermenting... could make you grow breasts (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bottles-7-banned-63402/)

I've posted info on here a TON of times showing that now since the bpe ban in Canada and more attention to the dangers, that a lot of spring water distributors are now putting their water in BETTER BOTTLES now complete with the betterbottle symbol on their bottles...That at least one brewer on here has discovered that the betterbottle he bought at the LHBS was actually one from the water bottling line, and that since last summer, even more plastic water bottle mfgrs are coming out with the same type of water bottles as our beloved better bottles, and we will begin seeing more and more of them in the market place...

SO any of those OLD arguments about plastic water bottles, is becoming old info and should stop being promulgating in the homebrewing community, because the times they are a changing, and with a steely eye, to our benefit...

I think it's because the last one two days ago was sort of the straw that broke the camels back...I guess when you have 10,000 threads of this question, even the new brewers on here are tired of this discussion, you get to a point where you actually don't give a flying flipper anymore...you just wanna have some thing to put your beer in.....And I was nice in my initial post, i even went and liked to the search for all the threads on this discussion so the OP can read the answers of all those people who no longer care to post about this topic either...:D

We could just post the answers to all those questions on our siggy...

Hey wow, I just realized something...in ALL THE VS QUESTIONS, about process or equipment, the answer is the same...They Both Make Beer!

:D

Excellent suggestion Revvy! One day I am going to meet you in person and buy you a round. Of course, a kiss from Yooper is still first on the list. Hmmm. Don't know if she knows that yet or not.....

When I first started (very recently) I decided to use plastic instead of glass because I plan on moving across the country in the next 6 months and glass is too fragile. Then I decided to use buckets instead of better bottles because they are cheaper. Now I wish I would have invested in a better bottle because I want to know what the heck is going on in there!

now i wish i would have gotten the brewer's best kit with the better bottle instead of the glass carboy. oh well.

now i wish i would have gotten the brewer's best kit with the better bottle instead of the glass carboy. oh well.

So did I when I started rebuilding my equipment supply. I bought glass because the HBS only had 3 gallon BBs.

Now I have 6 6 gallon BBs and one glass and the glass is always the last to get used. Too fragile and heavy for me when filled and I have a very steep and narrow staircase to take my carboys up and down once full.

You do realize that with this obsession you will be buying more and more fermenters don't you????? :D

Seems DOntman and I really have the same philosophy about brewing...

I got the glass secondary with my kit...but everytime I was going to buy another fermenter I bought either a bucket or a Better Bottle...

You can use your glass carboy for things that require a long aging...where you wont be using it every couple of weeks and maybe banging it up and potentionally weakening it...But if you are going to sit a beer in there for 6 months to a year, then use it...

Or make a batch of apfelwein in it which takes upwards of 6 months to mellow...

I haven't used mine in a year....BUT I ran out of primaries (actually I ran out of bottle caps on sunday and couldn't free one of my other 6 up...)

I was brewing a 2.5 gallon all grain and am fermenting it in the 5 gallon glass carboy...but boy I was nervous moving it around...I bounced it once on the floor last year, and another time banged it into the counter so I am leery of jarring it to much...

But everything else I have is plastic...

Back