5 gallon Carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
I have been using 5 gallon carboys as secondaries, but have decided to do away with secondaries. Can I use the 5 gallon carboys as primaries with a blow off or will they not be large enough for that.

Thanks,
Slappy:mug:

I have had great success making APFELWEIN in 5 gallon carboys. :D
I ferment lots of stuff in them, just fill to the top of the streight side, and use a blowoff! They are not "IDEAL" but they work.

Slappy....You need to make some mead in dem der jugs!

I use 6.5 and 6 gallon carboys as my primaries: I honestly can't imagine using a 5 gallon for primary. Main reason being is that I like to net about 5 gallons of beer when kegging (so its close to 5.5 gallons that I have when pitching). I suppose if you're going for 4-4.5 gallons, then a 5 gallon carboy will work. Most of my beers in a 6 gallon carboy still krauesen over the blow off tube....so again, as long as you're aiming for less volume (or some beer that you know won't krauesen), you could use a 5 gallon....

I have been using 5 gallon carboys as secondaries, but have decided to do away with secondaries. Can I use the 5 gallon carboys as primaries with a blow off or will they not be large enough for that.

You could do 3-4 gallon experimental batches. Or do Apfelwein like I do in mine. :) I still secondary big beers sometimes. The 9-9-9 is sitting in a 5 gallon carboy waiting for its oak infusion right now.

Yeah...I've been doing apfelwein in them, but I have huge supply of that right now. I think I'll just grab 6.5 carboy and use the 5 gallons for secondary for big beers or experimental. Splitting them up and making bigger batches is a great idea...haven't thought of that...thanks

I have had great success making APFELWEIN in 5 gallon carboys. :D
I ferment lots of stuff in them, just fill to the top of the streight side, and use a blowoff! They are not "IDEAL" but they work.

Slappy....You need to make some mead in dem der jugs!

ooo....never done a mead...sounds like an idea:mug:

Need to have a party...I've found myself drinking a lot more lately just to get a keg empty...maybe I need to buy a few more....6 ain't cutting it.

I have room in the kegerator for 8 and I have 12 kegs which leaves 4 for conditioning. So far I haven't run out of kegs but I have had to slow down my rate of brewing between parties.

BK you are welcome to empty my kegs for me anytime. ;)

Back